cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless QoS using AVC for MS Lync

Mark Rigby
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, we have two 5508 WLC's in our HQ, all AP's connected in local mode and heavily use MS Lync over wireless.

We have 5 SSID's configured for various functions, one of which is the corporate SSID which users associate to by default, at present the QoS policy is set on all WLAN's to Silver.

Based on information from various sources and tech docs from Cisco i have thus far created the following AVC profile and applied it to the Corporate WLAN to identify Lync traffic and mark it accordingly

Set WMM on the WLAN to required.

And configured 802.1p settings on the Silver QoS profile

I have also configured the switch ports connected to the WLC's to trust COS (mls qos trust cos) all switch interconnects/uplinks to trust DSCP (mls qos trust dscp) and all access ports connected to lighweight AP's to trust dscp.

Now this is where i start to get confussed:

• Do i need to enable 802.1p if using AVC profiles to correctly classify traffic?
  • Or based on some post just set the corporate SSID to use the Platinum QoS profile, leave all others as Silver?

Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yeah, QoS is just weird all around.

It has to do with the WLAN QoS, 802.1p tag used, and what the client sends.

When you are set to Platinum the WLAN accepts up to EF as a tag

on the sired side, the 802.1p is going to match to 6

take a gander at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/vowlan/41dg/vowlan_ch2.html#wp1046206

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You do want to enable dot1p.  The dot1p is for both WLC to AP packets and packets destined to the core

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807e9717.shtml

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Mark Rigby
Level 1
Level 1

Have thus far had the following results

One laptop connected to wireless, the other connected to wired LAN

Wireless Laptop - 10.45.57.134

Wired Laptop - 10.45.35.13

Also using default COS-DSCP maps on switches

Cos-dscp map:

cos:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

--------------------------------

dscp:   0  8 16 24 32 40 48 56

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capture on wired PC with Silver QoS profile and AVC profile enabled

Source - Wireless

Destination - Wired

Traffic marked as CS2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capture on wired PC with Platinum QoS profile and AVC profile enabled -

Source - Wireless

Destination - Wired

Traffic marked as CS5

Capture on wireless PC with Silver QoS profile and AVC profile enabled

Source - Wired

Destination - Wireless

Traffic marked as EF

Capture on wireless PC with Platinum QoS profile and AVC profile enabled

Source - Wired

Destination - Wireless

Traffic marked as EF

If i remove the AVC profile all traffic is marked DSCP default in both directions however QoS settings havent been pushed out via GPO for our Lync deployment

yeah, QoS is just weird all around.

It has to do with the WLAN QoS, 802.1p tag used, and what the client sends.

When you are set to Platinum the WLAN accepts up to EF as a tag

on the sired side, the 802.1p is going to match to 6

take a gander at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/vowlan/41dg/vowlan_ch2.html#wp1046206

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Cheers Steve, have altered my cos-dscp map to mls qos map cos-dscp 0 8 16 24 32 46 48 56 and the wired PC is now seeing incomming traffic from the wireless client as EF rather than CS5.

Looking through mrncciew.wordpress.com to get a better understanding!

Hi Mark,

Looking through mrncciew.wordpress.com to get a better understanding!

Yes, that's a great blog .  Hey, that's me & if your queries not get answered through those post let me know

Regards

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card