Views
Helpful
Replies

WISM1 (WLC 6.0.182) to WISM2 (WLC 7.2.115.1) migration

Thibault BRISSE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I plan to replace 2 x WISM1 (WLC 6.0.182) by 2 x WISM2 (WLC 7.2.115.1). One WISM in each Catalyst 6500. I am sorry it is a little long but I have no lab and I need your advice.

Summarized migration plan is the following :

• Upgrade of the 4 WLC (WISM1)  from 6.0.182 to 7.0.240
      • AP pre-download from the 4 WLC (WISM1)
          • Transfert WLC 7.0.240 image to the 4 WLC (last compatible version)
          • Transfert WLC 7.0.240 image from the 4 WLC to AP and swap AP primary and secondary image
          • So, AP primary image is 7.0.240, AP secondary image is 6.0.182
          • Scheduled reboot of the 4 WLC
          • So, 4 WLC (WISM1) and AP are running WLC 7.0.240

• Move AP from the 2 WLC of the1st WISM1 to the 2 WLC of 2sd WISM1
            • Swap AP primary and secondary controller with NCS

• Backup the configuration file 
            • of one WLC of the 1st WISM1
            • of one WLC of the 2st WISM1

• Replace the 1st WISM1 by one WISM2
            • WISM2 upgrade from the current WLC version to 7.0.240
            • Import the saved configuration file (WISM1) to WISM2 (7.0.240)
            • Check the configuration via HTTPS

• Move AP from the 2 WLC of the 2sd WISM1 to the 1st WISM2
            • Swap AP primary and secondary controller with NCS

• Replace the 2sd WISM1 by one WISM2
            • WISM2 upgrade from the current WLC version to 7.0.240
            • Import the saved configuration file (WISM1) to WISM2 (7.0.240)
            • Check the configuration via HTTPS

• Upgrade WISM2 from 7.0.240 to 7.2.115.1
            • AP pre-download etc.
            • etc.

Please, what do you think about this migration plan ?

Do you have a better/simplier solution ?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

George Stefanick
          VIP Alumni
          VIP Alumni

Also see

http://www.my80211.com/home/2013/3/5/how-to-wism1-to-wism2-migration.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I already see this document thanks.

Richard Atkin
          Level 4
          Level 4

How many Access Points are you operating and of what type?

- 7.2 supports different Access Points than 6.0.

- If you have 300 or fewer Access Points, it seems to me that you could make your migration a lot simpler, especially if you have spare capacity in your chassis to run both side-by-side?

What IOS is on your Sup? (Have you checked the WiSM2 IOS requirements?)

What PSU is in your chassis? (WiSM2 and WiSM1 power consumption requirements are different)

Do you run WCS? You will need to upgrade to Prime..

Hi Richard,

We have 400 AP (1131AG). Our customer accepted the lost of 100 shortlisted AP (due to WISM1 limitations) if necessary.

Yes we have available slot in each chassis.

Yes I checked the WISM2 IOS requirements. Chassis were upgraded especially for WISM2.

No, I didn't check the PSU

We will have PI 1.2.

Thanks

Scott Fella
          Hall of Fame
          Hall of Fame

Here is my 2¢

The thing you have to look at also is how many upgrades on the AP are you going to make? The WiSM and the WiSM2 will have different software versions, so to me, the critical piece is getting the configuration from WiSM1 to the WiSM2.  The other question is, I'm assuming the WiSM2 will have a new ip address and your not replacing the WiSM1 IP Address.  So why not just make sure that the WiSM1 and the WiSM2 are in the same mobility group and just move the (Compatible) access points to the new WiSM2 slowly.  This way you are only doing one upgrade to the access points and not two like in your plan.  You would move the AP's by changing the primary wlc to the WiSM2 and the secondary to the other WiSM2.  I would also maybe enable Authorize MIC APs against auth-list or AAA under Security > AAA > AP Policies.  This way the AP's will not be able to fallback to the WiSM1.  That is probably how I would do it.,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
          *** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott and thanks for your answer, you have a good idea.

We 400 AP (1131AG) and we have a slot of 5 hours to migrate all the AP.

I planned a fist upgrade from 6.0.182 to 7.0.240 for these purpose :

• To pre-download AP image with WISM1 and WLC 6.0.182. WLC 7.0.240 is the last version supported by WISM1.
          • To get the configuration from WISM1 to WISM2.

Also you would enable Authorize MIC APs against  auth-list to avoid AP's fallback to the WiSM1. So, if I understand you, it would be enable on WISM1. This way AP's trying to fallback to the WISM1 will be refused and reconnect to the WISM2 that's right ?

If you have another idea I am agree with you.

Regards

Yeah 5 hours is pushing it... I would just move the AP's a group at a time to the new WiSM2's.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I planned a fist upgrade from 6.0.182 to 7.0.240 for these purpose :

• To pre-download AP image with WISM1 and WLC 6.0.182. WLC 7.0.240 is the last version supported by WISM1.
          • To get the configuration from WISM1 to WISM2.

Also  you would enable Authorize MIC APs against  auth-list to avoid AP's  fallback to the WiSM1. So, if I understand you, it would be enable on  WISM1. This way AP's trying to fallback to the WISM1 will be refused and  reconnect to the WISM2 that's right ?

How  can I get the configuration from WiSM1 to the WiSM2 ?

Also  you would enable Authorize MIC APs against  auth-list to avoid AP's  fallback to the WiSM1. So, if I understand you, it would be enable on  WISM1. This way AP's trying to fallback to the WISM1 will be refused and  reconnect to the WISM2 that's right ?

Yes... this will prevent access point from joining the WiSM1... AP's that are already on WiSM1 will stay, it just prevents any AP's that has already been migrated to WiSM2 to fail to WiSM1.

How  can I get the configuration from WiSM1 to the WiSM2 ?

Well you would backup your config and open it up in a text editor... then you would edit the file, by changing the hostname and ip address, etc.  Make sure you have a trailing space at the end of each command that you change.  This is important or else the config will not take.  Also you will have to edit the password for the management since it is encrypted in the backup config.  replace it with:

config mgmtuser password

Save the config and do a restore on the WiSM2 and verify that the setting are okay prior to moving all the ap's over.  I would move one to test your wlans and make sure its fine before moving more.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Ok, I thought that WLC code must be the same to get configuration file from WISM1 to WISM2 but obviously it is not right.

So, From your point of view you will not use ap pre-download image feature, that's right ?

thanks

The pre-image download is just to download the AP image to the AP, then you would swap the image and reboot the AP for the AP to boot that image.  Pre-image download helps lessen the time to bring up ap's with new code.  This will not help when you move from WiSM1 to WiSM2 as the ap's will join the WiSM2 and have to download the image and reboot.  YOu can prep the WiSM1 by downloading the new code and then using the pre-image download prior to rebooting the WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I have to check if pre download image is a requirement (for my customers). If it is then I should migrate to WLC 7.0.240 on WISM1 first

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card