Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN - Best Practice for High Density Areas like lecture halls

ciscoprolin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

we plan to deploy Cisco 2800 APs to our new lecture halls. The plan is to increase the density of APs and to disable lower data rates to avoid interference. Do you think disabling all Data Rates below 24 Mbit/s makes sense or what is your experience / best practice ?

Cheers,

Thorsten

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Vengatesa Prasath
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It depends on AP placement. It has to performed after a proper site survey otherwise you will end up with Coverage hole (Client roaming will get affected). 

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Lecture Hall deployments require something creative.  One has to be creative on how to deploy the APs and where to concentrate the radios to certain sections of the floor. 

Proper site survey is a must.

For obvious reasons, 802.11b/g should be disabled.  Period. 

For 802.11a/n, it all depends on how much channels you can use.  If you can use UNII-1, -2, 2e and -3, then enable them.  40 Mhz channel bond would also be useful.   

Very, very directional patch antenna would need to be seriously considered.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi @ciscoprolin

In my opinion it is a good practice. However, depends on your clients and AP positioning. 

I treid this already but the results was not good as many clients didn't make it.

Your cell will be "smaller" so the coverage must be better.

I recommend 12 Mbps.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Vengatesa Prasath
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It depends on AP placement. It has to performed after a proper site survey otherwise you will end up with Coverage hole (Client roaming will get affected). 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Lecture Hall deployments require something creative.  One has to be creative on how to deploy the APs and where to concentrate the radios to certain sections of the floor. 

Proper site survey is a must.

For obvious reasons, 802.11b/g should be disabled.  Period. 

For 802.11a/n, it all depends on how much channels you can use.  If you can use UNII-1, -2, 2e and -3, then enable them.  40 Mhz channel bond would also be useful.   

Very, very directional patch antenna would need to be seriously considered.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card