Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Connectivity between two VTP domains

Vishal Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need help in designing a WLAN solution where we have two buildings and both are connected via CORE switch. Both the buildings are on different VTP domains. Our WLC 5508 will be in one building and Clients /LAPs on other building. We are using 3 SSIDs Staff- Vlan 100, Corporate-Vlan 101 and Guest-Vlan 200. But we do not have VLAN 100, 101 and 200 on the switch where WLC is connected and we cannot create also.

When we create Dynamic interface on WLC for SSIDs can we tag them with any other VLAN (Other then 100,101 and 200) or else what would be the solution to communicate?

6 Replies 6

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

On top of my head.. 2 things are running...

1>> Move or connect the WLC to the switch were we can configure the interface vlans..

2>> Conect the WLC to the switch where you dont want the interface vlans to be configured and then configure trunk between the other switch and on tat switch configure the interface vlans.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

hi

We cannot move WLC and cannot create trunk bw the switches. This is the existing network where WLC will be in datacentre and LAPs are in other building. Both are existing 2 different VTP domains so have to find some solution in this scenerio.

Thanks

Hello,

Its been a long day... I am a little confused because it sounds like you want to stretch your vlans from build A to building B. The question is WHY? The access points can be on any vlan, they dont have to be on 100,101 and 200. Your switch ports should be "switchport access", not trunk.

On the WLC side is where your wireless traffic turns into wired side traffic. These VLANs are almost always locally significant (switch <--> wlc )and never push out through the network. From there the traffic enters the WLC, 802.11 tags are removed, 802.3 tags are put on, packet egresses the WLC through the switch and gets routed to the wired side vlans... Why the need to use those specific VLANs?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

HI George

I think I am not able to explain properly so here is the exact situation with diagram. Now we have to create 3 dynamic interface on WLC for each SSID. Do we have to use HREAP central auth local switching?

Thanks for the topology. So, what is it that you are trying to do? Are you attempting to keep the traffic locally switched in VTP2 domain from the wireless access point? If so, then YES HREAP is a great solution whereby keeping traffic local. But keep in mind if you use 802.1X whereby your ACS server is authing users. If you lose connection to the ACS you cant get your wireless users on the network.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for confirming. Just have 2 queries.

1. Do we have any option in this case other then using HREAP?
  2. Do  we need to create 3 dynamic interface on WLC or we can bind all 3 SSIDs of HREAP AP with single dynamic interface?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card