Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Controller for AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9

Hi,

I'm new to wireless and I have 7 Cisco 1142N (AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9) APs. But The thing is I have to buy a WLAN controller for these APs. I checked on internet and I found the 2500 series  Controllers are compatible with Cisco 1142N (AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9) APs. But I would like to know How can I find the exact supporting version of controller for Cisco Access points?

Also it would be appreciated if you all can help me to choose the correct and cost effective WLAN Controller for Cisco 1142N (AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9) APs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi again

That's not true. You can roam on autonomous. The controller affords you many rich features. Like centralized management, HREAP, spectrum etc.

The newer 3600 and 2504 are ideal. I might consider these as options. The 3600 will allow you 802.11ac options, spectrum and since these are newer they will be supported for a good bit.

Sent from Cisco Technicalt Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

vishal4444
Level 1
Level 1

You can contact To Cisco Partner  for the same . Also see 4500 ser controller with 20 licen for wireless device

Thanks & Regards

Vishal

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at this matrix. It will explain the WLC code that supports that access point and the various WLC that support that code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html#wp98682

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Our organization has aquired this company. So they only left us is Access points.

Thanks for your help scott. But the thing is I'm not keen on Wireless. Can you help me to select the correct WLAN controller for AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 APs. how should I match the matrix ? it is easier if I have an example.  your help much appreciated. Thank you all.

Hi there, weclome to CSC.

The 1142 can work without or without a controller. You can load autonomous code on these aps even though the model is a LWAPP model. These aps will work in either mode.

As for controllers. It all depends on your need. It sounds like you have a small office. The 2500 is a nice controller for a small office. It can go up to 25 access points. This means you can buy a 2500 and add licenses as your need grows.

As far as support, the 1142 is supported on ALL the controllers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks a lot George. yes It is a small office. They want to do roming inside the office with their tablets and other equipments. Therefore the autonomous AP scenario will not practical at all. I'm really new to cisco wireless world. But acording to my knowledge I can do roaming with WLAN Controller. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So I thought to go with 2500 series Controller(because 2100 series is no more supported). Can you geniuses help me to learn about wireless by giving your valuable opinions please?

Thanking you all

Chamara

Hi again

That's not true. You can roam on autonomous. The controller affords you many rich features. Like centralized management, HREAP, spectrum etc.

The newer 3600 and 2504 are ideal. I might consider these as options. The 3600 will allow you 802.11ac options, spectrum and since these are newer they will be supported for a good bit.

Sent from Cisco Technicalt Support iPhone App

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

2504 on the of side. 3600 aps for any new purchases. Your existing 1142 will work fine. I have over 1000 1142 aps installed. Solid ap ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone Ap

Thank you George. Now I'm gonna find about autonomous Roaming. Because it will be most cost effective solution for 7 APs due to that branch office wont be expand at all. This is my first time to configure Cisco Airo APs. fingers are crossed. Thank you again for you gentlemens helps.

Cheers

If I might suggest a few items to help you with your research.

1. Make sure your design has enough overlap in cell coverage to afford better roaming

2. What wireless security do you plan to use. This will be VERY important how you configure the acces points

A. If you use a PSK you are good to go nothing major

B. If you use EAP, you will need to set up WDS

Number 2 is very important ..

Stop back if you have questions .. Thanks for supporting the rating system

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah I hope to go with PSK due to nothing major. But the thing is  still I couldnt find out how to enable roaming with 1142n autonomous  system. Do you have any wireless giude which will help me to carry on my  job

Thank you for your higly valuable advices George. Highly appreciated. Thanks again

Roaming is going to work so long as the WLAN is configured the same on all 7 of the AP at that location. There is nothing special you need to do to enable roaming.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

From where can I get the autonomous code to convert 1142n LWAPP to autonomous? Can anyone guide me

Thank you all

You can download it from CCO. Just go to the download section choose access points and pick the image for your AP type.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Yeah I found it. BTW thanks for your help. I asked that without finding. Sorry to bother you guys. Thanks a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card