Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 stopped working after Software upgrade

Jorge Hernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I updated the software (to version 8.0.110) of our WLC 2500 series (2504) today, it worked fine for about 1 hour then it crashed, it's blinking amber and green the SYS light and I can't ping it.

What can I do?

We need it to have version 8 so it can take new SSL certificates (new algorithm) so I cannot bring it back to 7.6

Thanks.

19 Replies 19

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's dead and you may need to RMA the controller.  

Let me tell you a special deal or a promo just released.  Google the SKU of:

• AIR-AP3702I-UX-WLC
  • AIR-AP2702I-UX-WLC
  • AIR-AP1702I-UX-WLC

These promo code is a bundle which contains two (2) controller-based access points (either 1702I, 2702I or 3702I) and the WLC-CT2504-25 is FREE.  

Notice the regulatory domain of the APs is the new "-UX"?  

The app for the iPhone can be found HERE.

For Android, it’s found HERE.

Cisco Aironet Universal AP Priming and Cisco AirProvision User Guide

Nope, I restarted it and re-applied the upgrade and it has been working fine, let's see how it does through the night.

I had a TAC case opened about this issue where I had two controllers both running 8.0.110 where one ran perfectly fine no issues but the other would randomly reboot due to crashes.

The TAC engineer told me to downgrade back to 7.6 because 8.0 is still unstable despite not being a demo release.

I downgraded both to 7.6 and now neither controller reboots due to crashes.

I finally got mine not crashing by configuring NTP, I am now wondering if version 8.0.115 fixed all those issues?

I have not tested it, but I sincerely hope so.

The TAC esc image v8.0.110.11 has a few more fixes than v8.0.115.0.  On v8.0.115.0, the controller was still crashing when WebAuth was enabled along with ACL's.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Good to know, but I just went to downloads and found that there is now a version 8.1.102 for it too.

Latest isn't the greatest:)

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I know, look at MS Windows as an example.

Hi Scott,

I started a new thread asking the following questions, but no one responded. I though to share here if you could help?

I'm working on a wireless solution where we have 2504 WLC, 1700i and 2700i APs.

Software Version 8.1.102.0

I have following 2 questions if someone could assist me on these?

Question 1:

I could see 4 QoS profiles (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze), but the problem is I am unable to edit any of them. (Even after disabling the radios)

Neither can I create a new custom profile where I could limit the data rate for each QoS Profile.

Question 2:

On local policies, I have created a policy for Mobile users, where I'm restricting them to use 1Mbps data rate. The policy works fine until a user came and told me they have a server hosted in local network which is not accessible from Mobile device. (192.168.64.83:10080)

I changed few things and observed that when I'm restricting the Mobile users to 1Mbps (or any higher data rate), they are unable to access the server. Whereas, when I keep these data rate fields blank, they could access the server. This solves the problem, but they get the full bandwidth which I would like to restrict.

P.S. The server is hosted on the same subnet as the mobile users.

Thanks.

Never mind, it crashed again, the weird part is that it doesn't crash when the WLANs are disabled, once I enable one of them, it crashes.

In other words, after upgrade and WLANs are disabled, it works just fine, might this be some configuration problem that 8.0.110.0 doesn't recognize?

Thanks.

If the WLC crashes, then you can pull the crashinfo file.  Can you post it here?

Jorge Hernandez
Level 1
Level 1

The problem it was having was that the Logs were getting too big and it ran out of memory, fixed the cause of the errors in the log and it's working like a charm.

Hello Jorge,

It seems that I have the same issue.... Generated your WLC a crashinfo? Because in my case the situation is that the WLC is working fine and then after a random time it reboots :( I replaced the hardware, power supply and cable but nothing helps. I wanted also try to downgrade the WLC code to 7.6 (or 7.4) but I need to stay in 8.0 release because we have 1700 APs.

What do you think could it be the same as in your case? (according what I described...)

Tommorow morning I will try to take a look on the logs.

Thank you.

Marek

My issue was the NTP Server setting, it had no server and the log was filling with this issue, I setup one of the global ones and it stopped logging that, fixing the problem.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card