Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4402 Console Access

Tyler Misner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is my first post here so sorry if I am not following protocol correctly for posting. My question is regarding console access for the 4402 WLC. I am working in a lab environment right now at school. Due to this fact we do not know the state the WLCs were left in from the students who were using them before us. So the only way that seems to be able access them is through the console port. I was out over the weekend and picked up what I had thought was the right cable; USB to DB9 Male. I obviously now know I will need a female connection on the DB9 side. It is a bit late here and I won't be able to get a DB9 Female to Female adapter before I need access to the WLC tomorrow. I am wondering if there is a way to access the console port with the cables I have. They are as follows.....

-USB to DB9 Male

-Cisco Rollover Cable (DB9 Female to RJ45)

I noticed there is a service port on the WLC. I don't know If I can use this to work with the cables I have or not. I guess it depends on the setup of the WLC.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do with what I have or if I am out of luck.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "console cable" for the WLC 4400 is a "cross-over" one and NOT a stright-through console cable.  

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Required Tools and Information

You will need the following tools and information before you can install the controller:

Wireless LAN controller hardware

Controller with factory-supplied power cord and mounting hardware

Network, operating system service network, and access point cables as required

Command-line interface (CLI) console

VT-100 terminal emulator (such as HyperTerminal, ProComm, Minicom, or Tip)on CLI console (PC, laptop, or palmtop)

CISCO console port cable (RJ-45 to DB-9) and modular adapter (RJ-45 female to DB-9 female) to connect CLI console and controller

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card