Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4404 - Dynamic Channel Allocation

dwtcp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have installed a 4404 (6.0.199.4) and almost 50 APs 1142N.

It is a big warehouse with several rooms.

There is no problem with coverage, i have performed a site survey.

But, the problem are the channels.

When i use DCA and channels 1,6,11 there are problems:

1 and 11 seem to have a lot of noise so clients (voip phones and laptops) do not roam to them easily (low SNR) and they prefer to stay connected to an AP with little higher SNR but lower power (RSSI )on channel 6 for example.

Is there a setting that can really help roaming?

What is best to do?

Can i use a lot of channels in DCA policy (even overlapping) and let the WLC's algorithm to distribute them to all APs?

ie i could use channel 2,4,6,8,10 and let the WLC distribute them?

What about the transmit power of the APs?

Would it be wise to put it to the maximum value or let the WLC's algorithm to tune it?

Thanks

Anthony

1 Reply 1

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the 2.4GHz spectrum only 1,6,11 are non overlapping. If you enable the other channels you'll cause more interference on the AP. You should really try to get out there with a spectrum analyzer card and see what the noise is so that you can either remove it or plan the channels around it. DCA/RRM is usually the best way to go but if you have massive interference that it can't handle going to manual channel assignments might help.

HTH,

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card