Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 rebooted due to Reaper Reset

Almarez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I found out that our WLC 5508 rebooted and/or crashed several days ago and the reason was due to Reaper Reset: Task "wipsTask" taking too much cpu: 99%. Attached is the complete crash log of our WLC. I bumped into this thread saying this issue might be persisting on WLC with 8.0.x product version. Some are suggesting to downgrade it to 7.6.

Just to add, I opened a discussion few days ago regarding Random APs getting high packet loss and latency. I was advised to upgrade it to higher version. I don't know if thesetwo issues are related to each other. If anyone can advise me which version I should upgrade/downgrade into, it will be much of help.

This is a production WLC so any comments and/or suggestions are wanted. Thanks in advance.

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.0.140.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.20
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.6.95.16
Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console 2.2
Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... <withheld>
System Location.................................. 
System Contact................................... 
System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1069
Redundancy Mode.................................. Disabled
IP Address....................................... 172.17.0.10
IPv6 Address..................................... ::
Last Reset....................................... Software reset
System Up Time................................... 11 days 20 hrs 20 mins 34 secs
System Timezone Location......................... 
System Stats Realtime Interval................... 5
System Stats Normal Interval..................... 180 

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I don't recommend downgrading to 7.x which is very old. Consider upgrading to the last version of the 5508 (currently available).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Post the complete output to the command "sh coredump".

Hi Leo.

Looks like it's currently disabled. My bad. Should I enable it? I only see the Controller Crash Info on WLC's GUI being useful at this time.

(Cisco Controller) >show coredump summary

Core Dump is disabled

Core Dump file on flash:

SW Version....................................... 8.0.140.0
Time Stamp....................................... Sun Sep 29 17:33:26 2019
File Size........................................ 82515870
File Name Suffix................................. _8.0.140.0_BLVMNL-MW-WLC_1569778406.gz

What is disabled is the WLC automatically transferring the core dump file. (It is OK to leave it disabled.)
Anyway, see that core dump file? Transfer it out and raise a TAC Case. Make sure the core dump file is attached to the TAC Case.
In the meantime, think about upgrading the firmware of the controller.

I have this same issue, and I have a coredump. Not a pile of info there. My crash file shows a reaper reset, wipsTask taking too much CPU while software Watchdog is disabled.

Sys Name: 5508-A
Model: AIR-CT5508-K9
Version: 8.3.133.0
Timestamp: Fri Oct 11 03:40:19 2019
SystemUpTime: 30 days 5 hrs 19 mins 13 secs
pid: 5397
TID: 1485665088
Task Name: wipsTask
Reason: Reaper Reset

Analysis of Failure:

Software was stopped by the reaper for the following reason:
Reaper Reset: Task "wipsTask" taking too much cpu: 95%, (user 21%, system 73%) while SW Watchdog is disabled

(Cisco Controller) >show coredump summary

Core Dump upload is enabled

FTP Server IP.................................... 10.2.8.164
FTP Filename..................................... <<ommitted>>
FTP Username..................................... cisco
FTP Password..................................... *********

Core Dump file on flash:

SW Version....................................... 8.3.133.0
Time Stamp....................................... Fri Oct 11 03:45:26 2019
File Size........................................ 38317276
File Name Suffix................................. _8.3.133.0_5508-A_1570783526.gz

Data Path Core Dump file on flash:

SW Version....................................... N/A
Time Stamp....................................... Fri Oct 11 03:45:26 2019
File Size........................................ 38317276
File Name Suffix................................. NoInfo_1570783526.gz

(Cisco Controller) >show coredump

Incorrect usage. Use the '?' or <TAB> key to list commands.

(Cisco Controller) >show coredump ?

summary Displays Core Dump Summary

Two things, open a TAC, or first upgrade to the latest 8.3 release (or if all APs are supported, 8.5) and check if the crash happens again.

Thanks! That is my plan, upgrade to 8.5.151.0. I was adding my crash file to assist the other user as I had already found the solution. This is the last software Cisco will release for the EOL 5508 as well. I hope Cisco has a great pricing option to migrate 400 AP licenses to a new controller. LMAO.

I actually received a fairly good offer when I upgraded my 5508 to 5520 last year (or is it already two years...). I also migrated to Cisco One at that time. Maybe you get now a nice offer for the DNA licenses. Please note, starting with the 5520, you don't anymore license the WLC, but each AP needs a license (unless that has changed again with DNA...). The WLC offers RTU and you just enter how many licensed APs you have, nothing will be checked it the background.

THAT is great information! Thank you so much!

Your version is 8.3.x and faced the same issue as mine. Hmmm. That gives me the only reason to upgrade it to the latest version, 8.5.151.0. Though I had to buy new set of APs since some are not supported by this release. 

I hope it solves my issue. Still need to present this to the management. 

Thanks!

Before undergoing upgrade, always talk to your Cisco AM/SE because there will ALWAYS be a promo or two.
From January to June (every year), Cisco always have a promo.

@Almarez Please first try the latest 8.0.152.0 release, there were 4 Updates to the one you are using. Maybe the issue was already fixed.

Here the release notes:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/products-release-notes-list.html
There is even a special release in case you use Flexconnect, see details here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html#anc15
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: