cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 update on only partial ap for testing new IOS ver.

pbssupport1
Level 1
Level 1

Greeting.

I will be updating the IOS from Ver 8.2 to 8.7.

1. Any issues on updating on separate subnets  i.e. 10.4.x.y (Where WLC is) to Static through MPLS to 8 other locations

10.5.x.y   10.6.x.y?

2. I would like to do just 1 or 2 subnet sites at first to test before rolling out to all Thin other AP's  If I read the the doc correctly

All ap's will be updated at the same time.  Can I go back and do a couple of sites at a time?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Hi,

8.7 code is not supported on Cisco 5508 Model any more. You can upgrade to 8.3.143.0 or 8.5.140.0 based on the AP model in your location. 

8.7 Release Notes

8.3 Release Notes

8.5 Release Notes

For Concern 1:

You can do pre-image upload option to download the image to all the APs and if you reboot the controller during downtime APs will join immediately at moment the WLC came UP.

For Concern 2:

Subnet wise upgrade is not possibe.

If you go with normal process like uploading the image to controller and then rebooting the WLC, Then all the APs will try to download the image at a time.

Read the Release notes of the image you are planning to upgrade as it may have limitation which can affect your devices.

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
5508 support up to 8.5.X.X.
To go from 8.2.X.X to 8.5.X.X, you must upgrade to 8.3.X.X first and then to 8.5.X.X.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card