Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 WebAuth Local Authentication Refreshing

Gary Roche
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can share some wisdom on an issue we have attempting to authenticate via the Guest Portal on a 5508.

We have a 5508 that was recently upgraded to 8.1.131.0, for a variety of reasons the WLC was factory defaulted and is now running what is hoped to be a clean config.

The WLC has three WLAN's configured, all running fine with the exception of the Guest Wireless Network.

Every few hours users complain that they cannot authenticate, when entering their credentials via the WebAuth portal nothing happens, the page simply refreshes with no error.  To temporarily resolve the issue disabling and re-enabling the Guest WLAN instantly allows users to authenticate again.  A few more hours go by and the same happens again.

Can find nothing on Google that comes close to the issue, so just to be clear when any device (IOS/Android/Windows) connects to the Guest WLAN they are successfully redirected to the portal page and are prompted to login, after submitting their credentials the page refreshes with no errors (and nothing to show of any attempt in the logs) continuing to prompt them to login.  Manually disabling and re-enabling the WLAN temporarily resolves the issue.

Anyone come across this before or anything similar....?!

Many thanks,

G

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This doesn't help - but I have not seen that issue before.  Especially with local authentication.

I would be tempted to try a different software version (perhaps 8.2.100).

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your reply.

What I should of mentioned is prior to a clean config being applied, the WLC was running on its current version for some time without any issues being experienced with WebAuth.  Only after being factory defaulted and a very basic, clean config applied did the issue arise which only partly would suggest the software version should be fine.

G

Gary Roche
Level 1
Level 1

I found the solution in the end, very simple one and was just a setting that was over looked.

Basically on version 8.1.131.0 on the 5508, at least in this instance, the default config has AAA>User Login Policies> Max Concurrent Logins for a user name set to 3 instead of the usual 0 for unlimited.

When a user logs in via WebAuth instead of getting the error notification as one received in the past stating that the max user count had be reached the page just refreshes offering no feedback.

Whether this is a bug on all 5508's with this firmware I dont know but in this instance this was our experience.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card