Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

WLC 5508 - WLANs disabled after reboot

Hi,

I'm running 3 WLC 5508, 2 of them running image AIR-CT5500-K9-7-0-116-0.aes, one AIR-CT5500-LDPE-K9-7-0-116-0.aes.

On the 5508 running the LDPE-image, I have 9 WLANs (170,171,180,181,190,191,281,282,283), all defined with admin status "ENABLED".

WLANs 180,181,281 belong to a defined AP-group, WLAN 190,191,282 belong to a different AP-group.

WLANs 180,181,190,191 are defined as H-REAP. The H-REAP APs registers without any problems at the backup WLC and switches back successfully to the primary controller after recovering from reboot.

Unfortunately the WLANs 180,181,190,191 show status "DISABLED" every time the primary controller comes back and I have to enable them manually.

Doing exactly the same procedure with one of the other WLC, running AIR-CT5500-K9-7-0-116-0, I never face this problem.

Has anyone faced something similar ? Any hints or tipps are very much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Master

The failover is not quick unless you are doing HA which was introduced in 7.3.  Time sensitive apps will most likely drop its session if there is a wlc failure.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Hall of Fame Master

Re: WLC 5508 - WLANs disabled after reboot

Well if you reboot the wlc, the APs will join one of the other WLC's correct? Is the WLANs, ap groups, etc. defined on those WLC's also and is your WLAN IDs in the same order. It can be many things, but i haven't ran that code in a while. If you stick with the 7.0, then use 7.0.235.0.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Beginner

Hi Scott,

many thanks for your reply. Yes, you're correct: the APs are registering across the WAN to one of the WLCs located at the Headquarter DC. I checked the WLANs and yes, they're in the right order. Currently I'm not sure about the AP groups on the local 5508; I have to check this.

If everything seems to be fine, I will upgrade to 7.0.235.0.

Hall of Fame Master

You need to check the configurations on all the WLC's the APs might join. An easy test is to reboot an ap and see if the radios or wlan's stay enabled. That means everything is fine and also means that when the ap moves, the wlc it joins might put the WLAN in disable.

I would also add the dtls license in the LDPE wlc I possible.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Beginner

I would like to pick up the discussion again. I had to upgrade the 2 WLC's involved in the scenarion and the WLANs are staying enabled. The APs are registering in a perfect time at the secondary 5508 and so do the clients.

After the primary 5508 comes back the LWAPPs are registering back to that WLC seemless and so do the clients but sometimes (not always) not without loosing the connections for about 15 secs, which is unacceptable since the applications will drop.

We also get the following error-msg:

*Sep 12 13:39:05.598: %AAA-3-BADSERVERTYPEERROR: Cannot process authentication server type radius (UNKNOWN)

*Sep 12 13:39:05.598: %DOT11-7-AUTH_FAILED: Station 0026.c730.88ae Authentication failed

Hass anyone faced something similar ?

Hall of Fame Master

The failover is not quick unless you are doing HA which was introduced in 7.3.  Time sensitive apps will most likely drop its session if there is a wlc failure.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

View solution in original post

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards