cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 - OctTempMonitor message

WGL_BK
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I've got another question. My 5520 has been flooding syslog with this message:

*OctTempMonitor: env_monitor.c:101 Check sensor fail: Octeon Temperature, errno 0, errstring Success

So far I haven't seen where it negatively affects the performance of the device. The operating temperatures seem ok (it's in a well cooled server room):

Operating Environment............................ Commercial (10 to 35 C)
Internal Temp Alarm Limits....................... 10 to 38 C
Internal Temperature............................. +15 C
Fan Status....................................... OK

I haven't been able to locate this error online yet. Has anyone ever seen it before? Is it cause for alarm?

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- This looks like a bug. You may upgrade to advisory release if applicable , feasible , available and or not yet done.                                                     Check if the problem persists afterwards.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

We've actually got a TAC case open for this on 8540 at the moment. Wireless Network Business Unit dev team are thinking about it ...

We think it's a WLC software bug because a reboot clears the problem.  It appears to me that the WLC loses connection with the CIMC (or IMM as they still call it).  CIMC can still see the sensors fine.  Side effect is that because WLC can't read the CIMC sensors it sets the fans to full speed to prevent possible overheating so increases wear on the fans.

If it's the same problem that we're seeing then you'll get zero response to the show imm chassis commands:

(wlc) >show imm chassis fan

(wlc) >show imm chassis fan-profile

(wlc) >show imm chassis temperature

(wlc) >

But on CIMC:

WLC-CIMC# scope sensor

WLC-CIMC /sensor # show fan

Name                 Sensor Status        Reading    Units      Min. Warning    Max. Warning    Min. Failure    Max. Failure

-------------------- -------------------- ---------- ---------- --------------- --------------- --------------- ---------------

FAN1_SPEED           Normal               17100      RPM        1600            N/A             1200            N/A

FAN2_SPEED           Normal               16000      RPM        1600            N/A             1200            N/A

FAN3_SPEED           Normal               16000      RPM        1600            N/A             1200            N/A

FAN4_SPEED           Normal               17100      RPM        1600            N/A             1200            N/A

FAN5_SPEED           Normal               16000      RPM        1600            N/A             1200            N/A

FAN6_SPEED           Normal               17100      RPM        1600            N/A             1200            N/A

WLC-CIMC /sensor #

You might also see RAID failures which Cisco have previously told us are hardware failures (RMA) but which I suspect might be linked with the same problem because they also clear after reboot:

RAID Volume Status

Drive 0.......................................... Good

Drive 1.......................................... Bad

They're considering re-opening https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvd63113 for it although they closed the original bug because they couldn't reproduce the problem or work out what triggers it

@marce1000there is no fix for it at this point but reboot will usually clear it if it's not a genuine hardware failure.

Thank you for this feedback. I'm not very versed on IMM and CIMC however I have tried the imm commands you shared and I get no feedback - in fact there's a noticeable pause at the CLI.

How can we move forward if there's no workaround or plans to release bug-fixes?

Hello, were you able to get to the bottom of this? I haven't seen a change since and I'm wondering if could possibly cause some issue down the road.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card