I need to upgrade WLC 2504 from 7.6 to 8.3 and also access points. My question is do i need to upgrade Access point as well or Access Points will automatically upgrade after upgrading the WLC.
yes they do, read the release notes before you upgrading to right version. Do you have high availability on WLC ?
1. Move all the AP's to join to the primary controller;
2. Upgrade the secondary controller with the firmware and the bootstrap;
3. When the secondary controller has been completely upgraded.
4. Move the 1 or 2 Test AP to new secondary controller and test all working as expected, before you move test all the AP.
5. Once confirmed all working with TEST AP, Move res all the AP's to the secondary controller;
6. Upgrade the primary controller with the firmware and the bootstrap; and
7. Have the AP's associate to their rightful WLC by doing to loadshare across WLC.
Yes all AP will update their image from WLC automatically.
Just keep in mind that you cant go directly from version 7.6 to 8.3
Step1: First Upgarde from 7.6 to version 126.96.36.199 on both WLC
Step2: From version 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206 on both WLC
Just follow the steps from Balaji for upgrade procedure .
Dont forget to rate helpful posts
Yes when you upgrade the controller it will upgrade the APs - you wont have to manually upgrade each AP, the WLC will download the new code to them.
You will need to plan for an outage, as the APs will get reloaded in the process
Suggest you to read the release notes of the release notes before the upgrade, and make sure all your APs and controller support the new version, it will tell you if you need an interim version