Helpful
Replies

WLC Debug Analyzer

Shankar Ramanathan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessDebugAnalyzer/

peninsulaholisitics+announcement.jfif

Wireless Debug Analyzer now supports Cat 9800 debugs (RA traces, always-on logs)

Wireless Debug Analyzer:

This tool parses debug log files for AireOS (WLC 5500/2500/8500/7500/WISM1-2/vWLC) and Cat9800 Wireless LAN Controllers. It makes it easier to troubleshoot issues with wireless client association, authentication, roaming, and connectivity issues.

This tool aims to provide logical analysis based on log sequence matching against existing issues. For AireOS the tool can also parse through output of "debug client <mac1> <mac2> ..." as well as some portions of "debug aaa/webauth/mdns". For Catalyst 9800 WLC, the tool can parse through always-on traces and radio-active trace logs generated from WLC.

Inputs Required:

AireOS: debug client <mac1> <mac2>..

Cat9800: Client RA traces/Always-on traces. 

Note: Only wireless client logs are supported in the current edition. AP join log process is work in progress.

Picture1.png

Mar 2023 Update:

What has changed?

ShankarRamanathan_0-1678292710537.png

C9800 Advanced Insights:

Graphical summarization of Client Onboarding time, Delete reasons, Client Roam statistics, and Success/Failure sessions per WLAN.

ShankarRamanathan_1-1678292710540.png

Client Session Insights: - Table View

ShankarRamanathan_2-1678292710544.png

Sequence Diagram of Transaction Per Session :

ShankarRamanathan_3-1678292710546.png

Please use this discussions thread for any queries on the Wireless Debug Analyzer

20 Replies 20

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Good idea! Debug outputs can be tough to go through especially if you don't do it that often. This tool deserves more attention within this community, maybe you can make this topic sticky?

I tried the tool but it hangs on "Uploading files to Cisco..." in FireFox, no issues within Internet Explorer :-)

Hi Freerk,

Thanks for the feedback. I will explore possibilities of making thread sticky.

On Firefox, can you comment on which version you are using? I am using Firefox version 44.0.2 and does not cause any hangs.

For convenience, I am attaching a sample debug file to original thread so you can download and test.

Shankar. 

Nice job Shankar ! I couldn't endorse the original post so I did your response to Freerk.
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Very useful tool!

Hi Shankar.

Excellent tool.

But It cannot parse the client debug output from Cisco Prime. Most customers find it easier to use Prime for generating a client debug file instead of using CLI and capuring the output into a file. I haven't been analyzing both output to understand the difference, but having Prime debugs as an option would be nice. The formatting by Prime is different, but maybe a checkbox for Cisco Prime format could make parsing easier?

I attach a client debug file from Cisco Prime for you to use.

Sincere Regards

/Mats

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

Good tool to analyze debugs.

Jason_Burrell
Level 1
Level 1

Great tool!!! nice work, but it would be to have a export to .csv after translating the debug file.

Thanks for the Feedback Jason, we will add to list of improvements.

lyle.cameron
Level 1
Level 1

Is the tool currently online and working? I have tried to upload a debug from a couple of different clients using 3 different browsers and all I get is "Failed to upload files to Cisco". No other messages or indications of a problem.

Capture.PNG

Jed Mk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is this tool currently working?
I can see only blank page on Firefox 65.02 or IE 11.195.17763.0.

BTW,
how to track/sniff client on WLC 3504, so can check problems with connection interruption, roaming etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Jed

Haven't tested the tool.

To troubleshoot roaming for a client, enter 

debug client <mac-address>

To turn it off, enter

debug disable-all

This will show you all roaming actions, connection losses and so on.

Please note, I suggest you run either 8.5.140.0 or 8.8.111.0 on your WLC. Please open a new thread to troubleshoot the problem though.

Thanks a lot!

plgonzalez
Level 1
Level 1

As of 4/1/2019 the Wireless Debug Analyzer does not seem to be working.bad debug webpage.jpg

The following message appears. Is this tool currently being worked on? (Revised / upgraded)

This page isn’t working

If the problem continues, contact the site owner.

HTTP ERROR 401

Yes it's been up and down for past 6 weeks or so, not sure what's going on =[
-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card