Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC dynamic Interface /w primary and secondary DHCP

Dear All, i configured a dynamic Interface with Primary and Secondary DHCP Server. For testing purposes,we simulate that the primary DHCP is dead. Does anyone know what is defined as "Dead Criteria" for the primary DHCP? When will the WLC start to use the Secondary DHCP? BR, Michael

3 Replies 3

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

I actually think the WLC will proxy the DHCP requests to both DHCP servers... If there is no response from the Primary then it just accepts from the secondary. I don't believe it works like primary/secondary radius servers

But I could be wrong.

Do a client debug (debug client ) and see what happens when your first dhcp server is uneachable.

If DHCP Proxy is enabled, the WLC will only relay to the Primary Controller, thats what i see in the Network Trace. I still await a Client Debug from the Customer, maybe we will be clear then. BR, Michael

cbrowne
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have a customer wth a WLC which has DHCP Proxy disabled and Primary & Secondary DHCP servers configured (external to the WLC).

The problem I've just started looking at is...if the Primary has run out of leasable IP addresses, the WLC doesn't appear to request one from the Secondary server.

It looks like (without any real investigation) the "I've run out of addresses" response from the Primary server is sufficient for the WLC to believe that the Primary is still on the network and it doesn't need to go to the Secondary.

I'll add more as and when I do more testing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card