cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC HA SSO failure ( Mgmt VLAN Tagging requirement )

rahul nair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have been trying to set up WLC SSO between two 5508 units . 

After completing all the necessary steps , when i try and enable SSO ( from GUI or from the Command line )  - i get an error mentioned below (command line version ) : 

"Mandatory parameters to make redundancy are not configured.
Untagging of Management VLAN is not supported with redundancy. Please configure Management VLAN before enabling redundancy."

I realize this is a bug with 7.5 or 7.6 OS.

I looked up at the bug tracking tool and it seems this has been fixed after 8.0 . 

I am running 8.0.121 on my controllers . Still seem to be present and preventing SSO from happening .

Any idea if its something that i am doing wrong  -  or is the bug still left unfixed ?

Thanks,

Rahul Nair.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Rahul, Vlan tagging was always the best practice for the management vlan as far as I could remember. have a look here in the updated best practices. You might still be better off doing the difficult task now, though I still expect native management vlan to work when upgrading from 7.x code. how is your redundancy port connected? Did you come across this doco

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

View solution in original post

good luck Rahul. Please mark as answered if it has been

-Prabath

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Rahul, With v8 you have to tagged the management vlan however if you've upgraded from v7x code it would still allow you to use untagged vlan as the management vlan

cheers

Prabath

-Prabath

Hi Prabath ,

Thanks for replying . I have upgraded both the controllers ( active and HA) from 7.6 to 8.0.121. 

Strangely still it puts up an error while enabling SSO.

Now the problem that i have is  - We  have the active WLC management interface in VLAN 1 which is also the native VLAN.

Not only that , all of my networking devices and servers belong to the same VLAN .

Hence it is very difficult to change the setup now .

Is there any other workaround that comes to your mind ?

Last resort would be to raise a case with cisco TAC !!

Thanks ,

Rahul Nair.

Hi Rahul, Vlan tagging was always the best practice for the management vlan as far as I could remember. have a look here in the updated best practices. You might still be better off doing the difficult task now, though I still expect native management vlan to work when upgrading from 7.x code. how is your redundancy port connected? Did you come across this doco

-Prabath

Hi ,

Yes i am afraid i will have to either change the WLC mgmt ip to a different subnet . 

Or enable "Vlan dot1q tag native" across my entire network .

Yes i followed the document you mentioned . And my redundancy port are connected back to back .

Thanks,

Rahul Nair.

good luck Rahul. Please mark as answered if it has been

-Prabath
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: