cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC in SSO

EgorAlston3953
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 7500 WLC’s configured in SSO/HA.

The redundancy port of both WLC's is connecting to a L2 switch which I have to replace.

My question is can I just replace the switch without any issues or will I get a split brain meaning both wlc's will be active.

What is the best solution to do this change without any interruptions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your concerns only HA port connected switch.

if it is active standby - Shutdown one of the WLC in HA, prefer shutdown secondary since primary already serving the requests.

replace the switch.

If active / Active, Fail over all AP to one Controller, and shutdown other one. replace switch and bring back and load balance the AP association back to both. 

Make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your concerns only HA port connected switch.

if it is active standby - Shutdown one of the WLC in HA, prefer shutdown secondary since primary already serving the requests.

replace the switch.

If active / Active, Fail over all AP to one Controller, and shutdown other one. replace switch and bring back and load balance the AP association back to both. 

Make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

EgorAlston3953
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the input the WLC's are in active-standby. I think the best would be to shutdown the standby WLC and do the switch replacement. On the specific switch only the redundancy ports are connected to this switch.

What would happen if I just replace the switch would both WLC’s become active?

You don’t want to do that because they can both go active or both go into maintenance. Power down the standby unit and make your changes and then bring the unit back up.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card