Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC P2P Drop No Longer Working on 7.4.121.0

Daniel McDavid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We've recently upgraded to 7.4.121.0 from 7.3.101.0 and I've noticed that P2P drop action is no longer functioning. I am able to see and connect to all clients connected to the same SSID. I'm using netcat to open raw sockets. I searched for bugs related to P2P and found none. Can anyone else run a check to see if they are affected?

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Daniel,

When your doing your testing, are the clients on access points joined to the same WLC?  This is how its suppose to work.... communication between two WLC will not block P2P.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Same SSID, WLC, & interface.

edit: Clients on same SSID, but different interface (using interface groups) can still communicate.

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Peer-to-Peer is set to drop, what is Direct Client set to?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Wi-fi Direct Clients Policy is set to 'Disabled'. I'm still doing some testing. Right now, I'm on an SSID that uses interface groups. I'm able to communicate between clients that got stuck on two different interfaces. Still testing to see what happens on the same interface.

Daniel McDavid
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like it blocks clients on the same interface, but if the clients are on two different interfaces in an interface group, traffic is allowed.

P2P blocking is having so many loop holes, It will work under restrictive conditions & you cannot achieve consistent results in many practical scenarios. (I have always kept it disabled )

Is it really required to block P2P communication among your wireless clients ? (if you are planing to use services like voice over wireless this is a feature you have to disable anyway)

HTH

Rasika

It was a stipulation when the WLAN infrastructure was deployed. We're a university and wanted to limit the damage that could be caused by a student with malicious intent.

I would personally think looking at AVC (Application Visibility & Control) feature on WLC would be a better option rather looking at P2P feature.

It is available from 7.4.x code onwards

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bed910.shtml

HTH

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: