Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC - Redundant SSO Pairs

MRCobb
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have a customer that currently has two 8510 controllers in SSO.  The customer would like to stand up another 8510 SSO pair in their secondary datacenter.  They want to be able to fail over from one SSO pair to the other SSO pair.  So if Building A is offline, they want Building B to takeover. 

Question 1:  Is this possible?

Question 2:  How would the licensing work in this design?  I assume that the second pair of 8510s in building B would need their own licensing because this would be considered a primary and HA SKU.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is possible but this is a very expensive solution.  One pair of HA SSO means two units.  Another pair of HA SSO for the role of secondary controllers means another two units plus licensing. 

How about splitting the current pair of SSO and move the second unit to the 2nd DC.  Connect the RP to the switch and make sure there's a Layer 2 link from this switch to the remote switch where the primary controller is connected to.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is possible but this is a very expensive solution.  One pair of HA SSO means two units.  Another pair of HA SSO for the role of secondary controllers means another two units plus licensing. 

How about splitting the current pair of SSO and move the second unit to the 2nd DC.  Connect the RP to the switch and make sure there's a Layer 2 link from this switch to the remote switch where the primary controller is connected to.

That answers my questions!  Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card