Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC's, upgraded to 7.0.240.0 now users complain about connectivity

Mike Clites
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I upgraded all 3 of my WLC, 2 foreign controllers (5508) & 1 anchor controller (4402) from

7.0.235.0 to 7.0.240.0.

Since the upgrade I am getting users at different locations (both foreign controllers) complaining about keeping a steady connection to the ssid.

This appears to be a new issue since the upgrade 2 weekends ago.

At first we thought it was 1 site specific since no other users were creating tickets.

We just got our 2nd location set of tickets and the complaint is very similar to the first one.

The only changes I am aware to the wireless is the code upgrade.

We made the move to the newer code because of the known issue of H-REAP(Flex) APs losing their vlan mapping that exists on previous code.

I have not been able to find anything so far online related to what I am seeing.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas before I open a tac case?

Thank you

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This SSID, KWD-Guest... this is not anchored to an anchor WLC correct?  Also, I would disable this:

Load Balancing................................... Enabled

Don't ask why.... its evil:)

I would set the DTIM to 2

DTIM period for 802.11a radio.................... 1

DTIM period for 802.11b radio.................... 1

Since this is guest, I would just set the QoS to Bronze

Quality of Service............................... Silver (best effort)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post your show WLAN

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott,

I grabbed 1 of the ssid the users are having the issue with from one of the 2 foreign controllers & attached it above.

The wlan in question (file attached above) is using H-REAP (Flex) as many are.

So far I have 2 locations (geographically seperate & on seperate foreign controllers) which are reporting similar issues with the same wlan.

The traffic is handed off locally.

We are an all cisco shop.

The APs in question are all 3502i models connected to 5508's as primary controllers.

All 3 (that includes the anchor) WLC are running 7.0.240.0 code.

When we upgrade we do all of them, one at a time.

Let me know if you need to see more.

Thank you

This SSID, KWD-Guest... this is not anchored to an anchor WLC correct?  Also, I would disable this:

Load Balancing................................... Enabled

Don't ask why.... its evil:)

I would set the DTIM to 2

DTIM period for 802.11a radio.................... 1

DTIM period for 802.11b radio.................... 1

Since this is guest, I would just set the QoS to Bronze

Quality of Service............................... Silver (best effort)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott,

You are correct this ssid is NOT going to the anchor.

I cant change the QoS down to Bronze since we do rate limiting on the Bronze for our other, anchor guest ssid's which are seen by the outside world.

This ssid were discussing is a guest but only in the corperate environments & do not want to rate limit.

Ok so I can change those 3 settings (disable Client-LB, change becons from 1 to 2).

Would those cause the issue after the code upgrade?

Those settings were (pretty sure) set to those values on the previous code too.

Thank you

Mike

Scott,

I marked your answers as correct because changing the DTIM to 2 & disabling the loadbalancing are the right move.

The users have not complained about it since then though getting to communicate with them is also a chore.

I am putting this one to bed as complete for now.

Thank you for your timely efforts & assistance.

Mike

Glad that fixed the issue.... othing better than people saying the wireless sucks:)

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The load balancing is the main issue. The other were just best practice. You don't need to change the QoS as I thought maybe you want to rate limit guest.

-Scott

Scott,

thank you for your help.

I will work with the remote users when they get in today & let you know.

I hope it was just a matter of the load balancing feature though it was already enabled before so I am cautious with my expectation.

That feature has caused me so many issues. I never enable that and a few months or so after I implement a wireless infrastructure I would get an email saying they have issue with wireless. That is the dirt thing I check and then I would ask why is this enabled:)

-Scott

Scott, as an update:

I just got a report from the primary user at the remote location where the issue has been occuring.

He connected to one of the other ssid we have floating around out there that actually encaplsulates the traffic & brings it back here to my HQ.

He said that since changing it to this ssid his connection has been rock solid.

I asked him to move back over to the guest ssid later & see how that connection looks after a while.

On a side note:

We have 5-6 web-passthrough guest ssid's about the corperation. It came to my attention yesterday that no one was using/on them.

This is of course NOT normal so I knew something was amiss.

This morning I discovered that on the foreign controller the "dhcp require" was unchecked but on the anchor the same field was checked.

I unchecked it from the anchor & bam, my guest wireless (web-passthrough) ssid was working again.

So somewhere in the upgrade from 7.0.235.5 to 7.0.240.0 process one or more settings were changed.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't seen that issue but many times when you have an SSID anchored and its broke, the first thing to do is make sure the mobility is up, the SSID is anchored properly and the SSID is configured the same.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card