WLC Upgradation HA Mode

sajid231088
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Hope you all are doing well.

Please help me in the bolw.

We have Cisco WLC 5508 configured in HA mode, existing S/W Ver is 8.2.130.0
with field recovery image 7.6.95.16, total no of APs are 244.
This is local switching setup (Flex Connect).

We have two concern.

1) We want to upgrade WLC to 8.5.110.0, can i upgrade it directly from 8.2.130 to
    8.5.110 ? OR do we need to first upgrade it to any mid version and then to 8.5.110

2) As i mentioned we have 244 APs which are installed at diffrent branch offices
    which are multiple cities.

As per Cisco document once we upgrade the WLC after boot it will start pushing new image to
    all APs but we dont want that.
    Actually we want AP up gradation should happen for only one particular location's APs,
    is this possible ?

Please let me know if you require more details.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sajid Baig

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you only have one pair in SSO, then you will need to take a downtime. There is no way to get around this unless you have a spare controller which you can upgrade and push AP’s to until you can upgrade your SSO pair.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Dear Scott,

Truly appreciate your prompt response.

I got your point. 

could you let me know is there any possibility that post up gradation some or one AP wont register again or fail to register back on wlc.

what are other post upgrade known issues ?

Thanks

There is always a possibility. Always run a show ap cdp neighbor all so you know what port the AP’s are connected to. Also make sure that all your AP’s support the code you are going to put on. Also not that the 3702’s will not take a pre-download and will reboot twice. For all other AP’s, you can follow the AP pre-download guide to push the new image to the AP’s shortening the downtime.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card