cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC8500 API based login

MKS104
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying API based login using app in WLC8500 but facing issue i.e. if the user doesn't triggers webauth session the login process doesn't flows due to error. The process only flows when captive portal at user end triggers. The whole point of using app is that captive portal doesn't triggers and user experience is better. Can someone suggest what we may be doing wrong and how we can rectify this?

cheers 

3 Replies 3

Rich R
VIP
VIP
You don't mention what OS you're trying to write the app on - each is slightly different. This isn't actually a wireless question - it's a software development question. But I'll try to answer it anyway... The app needs to trigger when the device joins the SSID which you're interested in and then it needs to attempt a connection to trigger the captive portal redirect (at API/app level not user interaction) at which point it can then post the login credentials to the WLC and the user should be logged in. Make sense?

rrudling, 

Thanks for your reply. The OS we are trying on is Android. 

I understand that this is more related to Software Development rather than wireless. When you say API/app level captive portal redirect what do you mean by it, have you ever done this?

We have an app that does that but I am not a developer so don't know the precise details - just how it operates at high level. On Android the app must 'claim/register' the SSID(s) with the OS API and is then notified when device joins a registered SSID. App then initiates an http connection to internet which is redirected by the captive portal. App can read the content and/or headers of that response for different types of hotspots. When it recognises the redirect from WLC it posts the login to WLC same as a client would from a web page. All this happens 'under the hood' no user interaction required. We've also recently found on latest releases of Android this doesn't work if app doesn't have location permission (presumably because SSID can be used to help with location).
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card