Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simulating Production network environment for testing

Hi I'm Alex i have been recently employed as a network engineer for a leading telecommunication company in my region. I was requested to do network automation on the network, and it was a gigantic complex production network. My first instinct was to simulate the production on a local environment to run script tests before deploying onto production. This got me thinking, how could i even start recreating the whole production network that have almost 100+ network devices with existing configs?

1 Reply 1

jbhoorasingh
Level 1
Level 1

There are various products you can use to accomplish this. here is a list of ones I have tried

1. Cisco Modeling Lab - Create for scaling to large number of devices, but licensing can be costly. It was a tough sell to get the capital for this but it have really improved my confidence with my script. I deployed ~86 ios devices in my largest sim to date.... It was not worth it, my testing would still be valid if I scaled down the devices
  2. Cisco VIRL - License restriction would restrict you to 20 nodes. It is the non-commercial version of CML. I use at home exclusively and I 20 nodes is plenty for testing automation/light weight networking apps
  3. Eve-NG - Pretty decent product, almost switch for my home use, but I stayed to VIRL because the interface is similar to what I use at work. There is also a Pro version, but we don't what to deal with the legal license fiasco

Additionally we can look at GNS3 (client/server) set up. I have have bother with GNS3 anymore.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: