Views
Helpful
Replies

Archives are there but, aren't there?

dean-lamb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a number of archives that are showing up in VSOM as running, they show up in batch admin and everything I can see that would normaly say if there was a problem shows them up, healthy and running.  When you go to the archive to view, it says no archive to view.  Most of my archive issues to this point have been related to the upgrade to 6.3.2.  When this upgrade happened I had a lot of issues with user rights being changed and users just couldn't view the archives due to rights.  After going through and changing all the rights everything was fine.  Am I missing something with this issue of archives that list and report running and up but having nothing to show when someone tries to view them?  I have tried with multiple users, even root and there simply isn't anything archived.

Thanks for your help,

Dean               

9 Replies 9

mcwalter
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Dean,

Have you looked at the media server VSMC page to see if the archives are really there? What about the storage on the media server? You may even want to look at the specific media shares in the Linux CLI to see if they are actively writing. Each archive should be broken up in to 5min chunks in a /media0/xxxx folder.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Thanks for the help!  Much appreciated.  I have looked in VSMC and the archive is there and says it's running with all settings looking normal (I think. My understanding of the system is really bad)  I will try to look into the drive space and stuff.  I know we are maxed out on that. 90 cameras archiving on a 4u CIVS multi use platform so there is a lot of overwriting/grooming happening.  The other issue I caught was that the server was pointing to a incorrect NTP IP.  The cameras were pointing to the correct address.  Could that be pert of the issue?  If time on the cameras was off from server time?  I know that can cause security issue but I am not sure.

THanks,

Dean,

Have you gone into the Admin panel of VSOM and clicked Archives>Running Archives and click on one of the archive links to see if it brings it up that way? You can also try this under Viewable Archives.

Also, you mentioned User rights, have you checked under user roles to ensure that each role has view rights to the Viewable Archives?

Thanks for the response!

Yes I have.  That was the first sign that pointed to the issue.  Users said there wasn't anythig in the archive when you tried to view it.  I assumed at first it was a rights issue since we had many random rights issues with the upgrade to 6.3.2 but that wasn't the case.  The archives are listed in all the standard places you would look and say that they are up, healthy and running.  When you try to access the archive footage that is when you get an error.  The camera is up and has video feeding live.  I can't figure it out.  I want to just kill the archives and recreate them but I also want to know what the deal is so I know if it is a single strange anomaly or an ongoing issue that will keep popping up.  Very strange...

Dean, do you recall what version you were upgrading from?

I beleive it was 6.3.1.  We never were on ver. 4

Last thing, When you click on your admin link from the Ops page, you should get the System overview page. Does it tell you that any archives are out of sync on any of your media servers?

No problem.  Anything that helps you help me is no problem at all.  No the ops page shows everything in sync.  It is very strange because it just doesn't make sense that it shows up running, healthy and nothing out of the ordinary but when you go to view, you get no archive available and only for 14 out of 70 cameras.  No correlation either.  Different locations and switches. The problem was only noticed when someone went to review an incident and had nothing.

I am sure it is probably something simple that I have done but I haven't really worked with that server in a while so no changes since last August or around that time. 

Thanks for your time and effort helping me.  The forums have become my go to since I have no training on the Cisco camera system.  I just keep learning through jumping into the fire over and over.

Actually, one of the four servers we have does say that there are 2 archives out of sync.  It isn't the server with the issues that I am discussing but I was wondering if there is a way to sync them or if I need to delete them and recreate?

Thanks for all your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: