Level 1

Dear All:

please i need support for archiving video ( recording) on storage,

actually i have  below equipment:

A- 1 RU as VOSM 6.3.1. and VSM 6.3.1

B- 4 RU with 12 TB as Storage 1.

C- 4 RU with 12 TB as Storage 2.

D- 50 PTZ camera.

i want to know the configuration to make archiving from the cameras at two storage ( storage 1, storage 2) at the same time.

i can make archiving just at storage 1, but the other NO.

please can anybody give me the actually configuration to do that.

thx

7 Replies 7

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner when you posted this question on your other thread.  I'm getting caught up now and can see you started a new thread for this issue, which is good since it is different from the issue on your original thread.

Yes, can do what you are looking to do.  You would need to configure a Child Feed to get the video to record on more than one server. Click on the hyperlink to see the documentation on this.

• You can only configure the camera/camera feed on a single media server.  This will be the media server that the camera sends its feed to.
  • Whichever media server the camera sends its feed to can archive the video.
  • If you want another server to archive the same feed, then on the second media server, you will configure a Child Feed.  This means that the second media server will open a connection to the first media server so it too can get the video sent to it for archiving.

Admin --> Video Feeds --> Camera Feeds --> Create a New Child Feed

1. Give the Child Feed a Name
  2. For Server specify the server that is receiving the feed from the camera.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Actually, let me look further into this.  I'm not 100% sure you can archive a child feed.  Child feeds may only be appropriate for viewing live video.  If you need to have video stored on multiple servers for backup, then one option would be to configure one of your media servers as a backup media server and do daily archive backups.

Thanks,

Sean

Quick question Sean, what happens when the server the parent feed is on goes down?  Would the child feed also go down?

Hi Derrick,

Yes.  The main intention of child proxies would be for something like this.  Let's say you have a few cameras in a remote office being archived in a media server at that remote office.  But there are several people across the WAN at the home office that want to vew the view of one of the cameras.  If all of them connect directly to VSOM and try to view the video, a separate stream will be sent across the WAN for each viewer.  With a Child Proxy, the home office viewers would connect to their local server to view the remote office streams.  If the local media server has one or more viewers requesting the video, it will open the child proxy to get a single copy of the stream, then distribute it locally.  If nobody in the home office wants to view the camera feed in the remote office, then the child proxy will be brought down, thereby not wasting any valuable WAN bandwidth.

Therefore, to answer your question, if the parent proxy is down, then the source media server cannot send the stream across the child proxy connection.

Now I want to see if we can make this work for our other friend.  I know that some cameras will allow multiple streams...perhaps one mpeg and one mjpeg...maybe that's the answer.

Sean

dear sean:

I think you are correct for child feed, its used for viewing not archiving. so i try another option and Its work? i configure camera  the 1 RU media server. then create two feed for same camera, each feed archive on deferent storage, and its work. but my question is this acceptable? on other hand if i have 80 cameras can i use the same procedure ?  what is the problems  may be i will face?

cerate BACK UP server, i configure at media server new Backup server as Storage two. then from storage one create schedule to archive the all video to BAckup server. but after time the backup failed and give a lot of errors?

am try other option by using Multicast option for camera. but i face problem when i try to configure the camera as Multicast i cant give the address , its give me blank? i don't know why?i upgrade the VSMS to 6.3.1, and use new Axis cameras with h264.

please need if you have any idea to solve thsi problem?

thx

smadi

Hello,

Some cameras will allow dual-streaming.  If your camera does, and you've created a proxy on each media server to the same camera and it is working, then you should be fine.

I cannot diagnose your problem with the failing backups given the information you have provided.  If you are successfully streaming your video to two media servers, then I'm not sure what you would gain by using the backup feature.

When you want to configure a camera to use multicast, you have to select UDP first, then add in your multicast group address.  Perhaps a screenshot would help.

Thank you,

Sean

dear Sean:

actually, thank you for your support,  the archiving is working.

i have comments for Alarms that i get as video loss, motion detection,.......

for video loss, when i view the camera from OM. and disconnect it, the picture is freeze( no indication that video loss happened or camera disconnect), but at health report, its give me the  camera ip unreachable.  so is their any option to give indication on the camera view when i disconnect the camera( video loss).

thank you

smadi