Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5508-X USB Boot

AhmadZ
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I'm having an issue with my ASA where it's booting to rommon mode since disk0 is not present (maybe damaged). I'm trying to boot from an external USB, it's reading the file but when rebooting to apply config, it keeps on booting to disk0. 

How can I change the default boot from disk0 (internal eUSB which is damaged) to disk1 (external USB)?

Thanks in advance!

23 Replies 23

Hi

why dont you copy from the USB to the flash:  first?  Then boot from flash

https://www.networkstraining.com/using-the-rommon-to-load-a-new-image-on-cisco-asa-firewall/ 

The link shows how to copy the image from TFTP server, I've done this, but as I said, it rebooting to disk0 which is faulty

Did you try change the sequence?

boot system disk1:/file.bin

it says boot system is not available in rommon mode

1-format disk:0

2-from TFTP to disk:0 
3- then check dir 

Disk0 is already damaged and not present

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/113266-asa-flash-error-ts.html

I know you mention that it damage but let check some steps as list in above doc. 
after that if failed then we will see what we will do.

it's booting to rommon mode, can't use normal commands as found in the link

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To boot the ASA's firmware from the USB stick, the command is "boot system flash disk1:<FILENAME.bin>". 

To instruct the ASA where to store and read the config, the command is "boot config disk1:<filename>". 

IMPORTANT:  By default, the ASA boots from a startup configuration that is a hidden file

Save the config into disk1: first (copy run disk1:startup-config.extension) and then configure the boot-variable string:  boot config disk1:startup-config.extension

The thing is that I'm in rommon mode, where commands are limited and can't use the commands you mentioned

@AhmadZ wrote:

The thing is that I'm in rommon mode, where commands are limited and can't use the commands you mentioned

Boot the ASA firmware first.  Use "boot disk1:firmware.bin". 

Once the the ASA boots up properly, copy the config across to the USB stick, change the boot variable strings.

Yeah, I'm doing so, but it's giving that's booting from disk0 after rebooting

@AhmadZ wrote:

Yeah, I'm doing so, but it's giving that's booting from disk0 after rebooting

What have you done so far?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: