Views
Helpful
Replies

Co-Located Maps Server

Simon Battye
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I have two UCS C series servers, one server handles Media Server and the other handles Operations Manager.

I've been looking to enable maps server service on my operations manager server but when I navigate to the services section under system settings, I can't see the option to enable this.

Screenshot of what I see:

Thank, Simon

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Simon for your reply.

So here is the catch for your query.

** The Map server service is not supported on the RHEL 5.8 version.

Note: This service is supported as a stand-alone server only, on a server running the RHEL 6.4 64 bit OS, or co-located on a Operations Manager server.

As this mentioned in the user guide as well properly while setting up for map server service.

Here you can see the snapshot from the RHEL 5.8 server page where the Map server service is not showing as not supported.

And this one from the RHEL 6.4 server page where the Map server service is supported.

So re-image your server with the RHEL 6.4 OVA image, as the UCS server is 64-bit processing capability and the RHEL 6.4 is also 64-bit supported O.S which will use the server performance to maximum extent.

Hope this helps to you.

Regards,

Jayesh

View solution in original post

CPS-UCS-XRU-K9 server are specifically used for Physical Security Products, they don't support virtualization.

Step 1 - download the VSM 7.6 recovery image from Cisco.com from below link.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=281550158&flowid=46909&softwareid=281933881&release=7.6.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Step 2 - Prepare recovery USB drive from the below link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/physical_security/video_surveillance/network/vsm/7_6/recovery/ccss-ucs-vsm-recover-7-5.html

Step 3 - Run the recovery USB on the UCS server and select "recovery" option.

Note : Recovery option does the clean install of OS and VSM.

Step 4 - Setup initial configuration of the server (As before).

let us know, if you have any more questions?

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

jsah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Simon,

What is the VSM version you are running on this UCS server? What is the OS version? And also how many server licenses are showing available under "software licensing" tab.

Note: Map server service is supported as a stand-alone server on a server running the RHEL 6.4 64 bit OS, or co-located on a Operations Manager server.

Please share those information with us. 

Regards,

Jayesh

Jayesh,

Here are the details you requested:

Media Server:

• Software Version: 7.6.0-075d
  • OS Version: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga)

Operations Manager:

• Software Version: 7.6.0-120
  • OS version: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga)

Licensing:

• Media Server Count: 1
  • Cisco Camera Count: 1000

Thanks, Simon

Thanks Simon for your reply.

So here is the catch for your query.

** The Map server service is not supported on the RHEL 5.8 version.

Note: This service is supported as a stand-alone server only, on a server running the RHEL 6.4 64 bit OS, or co-located on a Operations Manager server.

As this mentioned in the user guide as well properly while setting up for map server service.

Here you can see the snapshot from the RHEL 5.8 server page where the Map server service is not showing as not supported.

And this one from the RHEL 6.4 server page where the Map server service is supported.

So re-image your server with the RHEL 6.4 OVA image, as the UCS server is 64-bit processing capability and the RHEL 6.4 is also 64-bit supported O.S which will use the server performance to maximum extent.

Hope this helps to you.

Regards,

Jayesh

Jayesh is correct, Operation Server needs to be running with RHEL 6.4 to enable the MAPS on stand alone server.

Map server can still be configured on the RHEL 5.8 by adding the server as MAP server.

while maps are configured on RHEL 5.8, if you wish to move to RHEL 6.4. Maps layers are to be reconfigured from the begin.

As Jayesh suggested, upgrading to RHEL 6.4 will help.

Note : Map Server needs additional storage or media partitions. fail to configure will not let MAP server to sync with operation manager.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification from both of you.

The upgrade to RHEL 6.4, is this an upgrade i can process via the normal VSM upgrade process by downloading the software from Cisco.

Or is it an upgrade of the OS first?

What's the best process here.

Thanks, Simon 

what is the server model?

Raghav,

The server models are: CPS-UCS-2RU-K9

Applications came pre-installed, we are not using VMware ESXi.

Thanks, Simon

CPS-UCS-XRU-K9 server are specifically used for Physical Security Products, they don't support virtualization.

Step 1 - download the VSM 7.6 recovery image from Cisco.com from below link.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=281550158&flowid=46909&softwareid=281933881&release=7.6.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Step 2 - Prepare recovery USB drive from the below link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/physical_security/video_surveillance/network/vsm/7_6/recovery/ccss-ucs-vsm-recover-7-5.html

Step 3 - Run the recovery USB on the UCS server and select "recovery" option.

Note : Recovery option does the clean install of OS and VSM.

Step 4 - Setup initial configuration of the server (As before).

let us know, if you have any more questions?

Raghav,

I'll give this a go, thanks for your assistance.

Thanks, Simon

Hi Raghav,

Sorry for bumping this thread again, only just had chance to attempt what you suggested.

I have downloaded the recovery software, wrote the image it to a bootable USB which is recognised when i boot the server. The only problem i have is when i select recovery (option 3), i get the following error:

"loading 3... Failed: No such file or directory"

Have you come across this before, my bootable USB appears to be OK?

Thanks, Simon 

Hi Simon,

How did you create the recovery USB? What is the capacity of the USB stick?

Please follow the below procedure to create and run the recovery on the server:

Requirements:
The USB flash drive that you use must:
• Have a capacity of at least 8 GB.
• Contain no files other than the recovery image files.
** Cisco recommends using USB memory sticks that are made by Kingston or SanDisk.

Procedure of Creating a Recovery Flash Drive:

Step 1 Insert a USB drive into a PC port (see Requirements)
Step 2 Download the recovery image on the Windows PC:
a. Go to the Cisco Video Surveillance Manager product page.
b. Click Download Software.
c. Select Video Surveillance Media Server Software (including system software).
d. Select the release.
e. Click Download Software next to the recovery file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 3 Download and install a utility used to raw write a binary image to a USB disk.

For example: see the Win32 Disk Imager download at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download

Step 4 Write the recovery image to the disk:
a. Launch the disk image utility and select the binary recovery file.
b. Select the destination USB drive.
c. Follow the utility instructions to create the recovery disk.
Step 5 Remove the USB stick from the Windows PC.

Recovering the Operating System from a Recovery Flash Drive:

**Requirements:
• Prepare a flash drive as described in the “Creating a Recovery Flash Drive”.
• Disconnect any USB or external storage devices (including SAN storage) from the server.
• Installation is supported only if the RAID disks are in a non-bad, non-failed state.

Procedure:

Step 1 Power off the server on which you need to restore the operating system.
Step 2 Disconnect (unplug) any USB storage devices and any external storage (such as SAN storage connected through a fibre channel) that are connected to the server.
This ensures that only the recovery flash drive is attached to the server and prevents other storage devices from accidentally being cleared by the recovery process.
Step 3 Put the recovery flash drive in a USB port on the server and power on the server.
Step 4 When the Cisco logo appears, press the F6 key to select the boot device.
Step 5 Select the USB recovery flash drive and press Enter.
Step 6 At the “boot>” prompt, type one of the following options and press Enter:

(** Pls refer attached Snapshot for recover options)

Step 7 When the installation is complete, you are prompted to reboot.
Step 8 Remove the USB flash drive and reboot the server.
Step 9 On the server, configure system, network, and related settings as appropriate for your deployment.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Jayesh

Jayesh,

Thanks for your response.

I have tried two different USB sticks so far, one is an 8GB and another is 16GB.

I downloaded the software from Cisco's website, used Win32 Disk Imager to write the image to the USB Stick as outlined in your details.

Are you implying this would tend to be a USB/Image issue as opposed to an issue with the current server OS?

Thanks, Simon 

Simon,

Can you please check the file which you download from the cisco.com.

Please check the MD5sum value for the binary image file.

Kindly refer the attached for checking the MD5 value and also check the MD5 value from the win32 disk imager when you select the bin file there.

The both value should be same, otherwise it will not run on the server.

Have you tried Factory? we need to re-install the complete server with OS and VSM software. Recovery will only push the OS repair files to boot while it boots it recovers.

Try Factory and let us know, how it goes?

this is just an BIN files which are extracted on a USB drive. make sure we adhere to the doc and specification. I'm sorry, i can't guess what going wrong here, unless we have much more data to understand.