cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Camera Archive Clip Question

tluidens
Level 1
Level 1

In my organization, the loss prevention group very often downloads archive clips to a local PC that are quite long: 1-4+ hours. Review is done offline - fast forwarding thru the clip or using smartsearch. Even if the PC is attached to the same local lan as the video server those downloads can take a very long time. I am wondering if there are any configuration options to increase the speed of the clip downloads.

4 Replies 4

philtraylor
Level 1
Level 1

Is there really a need to have that long of a video? Do you have forensic search? Most of the incident videos I have pulled are less than 20 minutes, unless of course the incident is long and drawn out.

Just going off assumption that you dont really need that much video, I would reccomend searching from VSOM and downloading smaller clips.

Here is what the Loss Prevention folks are telling me: Say they are looking at a cashier (retail sales) because they know from other tools that cash or product is being stolen. They know that it happened over a 12 hour period but not when or even how. They are not looking for something that has visually changed, which Forensic Search would work well for but instead, the actual activity (sliding cash or product into a purse/pocket). So watching the video for the event is what is commonly done - but they complain about how slow it is. If Forensic Search was done over small enough time periods that might work but it would be a bit cumbersome. By comparison, downloading a clip and watching it with a good player at 16 speed provides high quality and is fast - but the download makes it untenable. Open to suggestions.

Oh, and CVA clips download much faster than avi/wmv but do not allow fast-forwarding so that does not seem viable.

I see your dilema here. Forensic search is a bit cumbersome when using it for long search periods. Still, I have to wonder why they cant just use the fast forward feature in the client and download the applicable clip.

I guess its 6 of 1, half dozen of the other as they say. Ill run some tests in my lab and see if I can assist you with a better way.

Thanks - anything would appreciated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: