cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mass move of Cameras from one meda server to another in VSM 6.2.0

Nicholas Hood
Level 1
Level 1

We are replacing our an older media server with a new one. I currently have 100+ feeds on the old server and was curious if there was a way to mass move all these feeds over to the new server w/o having to manually go thru and delete each one, one by one from the old server and add it to the new one.

-Thanks

-Nick

7 Replies 7

Hey Nick,

Please see the attached document beginning on the end of page 20 to page 21. Although Cisco does not recommend it I have performed it sucessfully when one of our servers crashed. I am running version 6.3.1 so you may have to upgrade from 6.2.0 as I am not sure if the procedure works the same in that version.

Please note that your configuration may be different from mine. I performed this on a 4RU server with VSOM and VSMS installed. If VSOM is on a separate server in your case you may have to import the new feeds, streams, and archive info into VSOM (see screenshot).

Nicholas Hood
Level 1
Level 1

Very Interesting Ainsley, I have both 6.2 and a 6.3 build (Lab) environments and I will take a look over the document and see if this will be a good option for us to do. I believe we have done this in the past when we have had a failure.

BTW, We are not able to upgrade yet to the next rev because this is an RMA switchover because this Media server is an RU5 and is failing. Any upgrade at this time on an unsable machine could result in a catastorphy for us however once the coversion is complete we will be upgrading the entire system. And yes, our VSOM is on a 1RU box followed by 2-4RU 24TB- media servers.

Thanks so much for your help and insight!

My pleasure. I guess you were able to find the import option since the last post. I have attached a screen print anyway just in case others need to find where it is. Good luck!

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Here's another way to migrate your cameras/feeds and archives from one server to another:

Copy the files from the following two folders off of the old server:

/usr/BWhttpd/conf/proxy/*            (these are all your camera configs)

/usr/BWhttpd/conf/archiver/*         (these are all your archives)

Now copy those files onto the new server and be sure they go into the same directories.

Once the files are copied, you can go into each of those two directories, confirm the files are there, and use the following commands:

chmod 666 *

chown noboby *

chgrp nobody *

If you are using the same IP address on the new server that you used on the old, then that should do it.  If you are using a new IP address, then you'll have to add that server to VSOM and do an import.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Sean,

Is there a way to copy only the user profiles from one server to another? I have 4RU servers at several sites with no network connectivity between them and it is a pain to recreate the user info and privileges each time. The servers are running 6.3.1.

Thanks

Hello Ainsley,

Unlike proxies and archives, which are stored in xml files in the media server and can easily be moved to another server and imported into VSOM, users and roles reside only in the MySQL database of the VSOM server.  Pulling them out of one database and importing them into a second database, while not impossible, would be rather complex do to the links between the users and roles.  While it may be a pain to manually re-create them, it would be your safest bet on making sure they work as desired when you're finished.

Hope that helps explain it.

Thanks,

Sean

If this answers your question please, mark it as answered.

Ugh, I was afraid of that.

Thanks Sean.