Views
Helpful
Replies

MSP-2RU without preconfigured OS

anthic.lobo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a MSP-2RU without any OS configured.

After installing the VSOM from the CD, the vsmc said no valid partions in the repository columns.

Any idea how to fix this issue?

7 Replies 7

John Gillich
Level 1
Level 1

You need to configure the following partitions on your OS.

• 10 GB for the “/” partition
  • 100 MB for the “/boot” partition
  • 1 GB* for the Swap partition
  • The remainder of the drive should be placed in a partition for repositories called the “/media0” partition

*The amount of space set aside for the SWAP partition should be equal the amount of RAM that installed on the server (e.g. 1GB RAM = 1GB SWAP, 2GB RAM = 2GB SWAP).

Also see attached guides for the OS you are using.

ajuarez
Level 1
Level 1

Download the VSM 6.3. or 421/621 ISO recovery image from the Cisco Emerging Tech web site.

Did you correctly configure the MegaRAID beforehand (see attached)?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for ur inputs.

I did the Raid configuration as per the document, however while installation of the OS i got an error.

It says error while loading GRUB. I igonred the message, but looks like the installtion was not complete.

Which GRUB error number did you get (see here)?

twice i got

Error 19 : "Loading below 1MB is not supported"

and once

Error 7:Attempt to access block outside partition

I  had tried to do fress installations on 3 ocassions.

Hi Anthic,

Please verify that you downloaded, burned to DVD and are installing the VSM 6.3 Recovery DVD from this link:

http://www.ciscoet.com/files/vsm63-final-unifiedMSP-recovery-370.iso

Unlike previous versions of the VSM Recovery DVD, the 6.3 version, when used with the FACTORY option (type FACTORY to do a factory install) will wipe your RAID configuration and recreate it for you.

The 2 GRUB errors you mention when considered together could be explained by not having the correct boot and root partition configured, though they could also be explained by a bad physical disk.  If you were already using the FACTORY option with the 6.3 recovery DVD we need to look at other possible solutions.

19 : "Loading below 1MB is not supported"

This error is returned if the lowest address in a kernel is below the 1MB boundary. The Linux zImage format is a special case and can be handled since it has a fixed loading address and maximum size.

7 : "Attempt to access block outside partition"

This error is returned if a linear block address is outside of the disk partition. This generally happens because of a corrupt filesystem on the disk or a bug in the code handling it in GRUB (it's a great debugging tool).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: