cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Drive Failures CIVS-MSP-4RU

cer43tcent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.  Recently I've had multiple drives fail on a CIVS-MSP-4RU.  Its occurred about 4 times and each time I've removed or placed a drive elsewhere and did a factory default and then got to VSOM/VSMS 7.5.1.  After getting everything up and running, it may last 1 week to 3 weeks.  Each time it appears different drives have failed, but now after not seeing any drives with errors I come in and 6 had red lights.  When I try to do a factory now it'll run but get to detecting hardware  (see attached).  Any recommendations?

4 Replies 4

Raghav-Rao
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. what is the instance of the issue? what makes server to reboot?

2. we need to look at the RAID logs to understand what is causing issue and what is current status of the drives.

3. how are you trying to factory the server? does the server work normally with other version of VSM?

Raghav,

I'm not sure of the instance or what makes the server reboot, but when I'm physically at server I see (see attachment).  I tried importing the foreign configuration and rebooting but neither work.  If I continue it just says "No Operating System Found".

I'm not aware of a simple way to get the RAID logs.  The server doesn't boot completely up so what I see is message by message in BIOS.  Is there a particular category I should look in?

I've been doing a factory by using the 6.2 recovery CD and just upgrading to 6.3 then to 7.5.1.  The server has worked fine with 7.5.1 for well over a year, but issues as mentioned in the initial post have been occurring. 

from Logs i understand that, Raid has failed due to which server is reporting No Operating system found.

with current details, i'm unable to determine if the issue is with Drives or chassis. we have 6.3.1 recovery image. try recovery server and update with 7.5.1. (6.X support is stopped, so i'm uncertain if this could fix the problem) and enable SMTP on VSOM, so you get any email notification if the RAID is degraded or drive is failed. this help to capture the logs for debugging.

RAID logs can be captured from VSMC page --> Administration --> support-report. (support report captures all the logs)

please open TAC case.

Raghav,

Attached are the RAID logs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: