cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSOM and Virtual Matrix client connection to VSMS very slow?

jbeechler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a customer that is experiencing some problems between their vsom client machine (which is also running a virtual matrix on a 2nd monitor).

When viewing live video with the client, there is about 10 minutes lag on the virtual matrix, and the main vsom viewer is also VERY laggy.

They are running VSMS 6.2 and VSOM 4.2.

Just to test I tried downloading VSOM from the server off the client machine, and i was suprised to see how slow it was going, dial up speed, about 1.8 to 4 kb/s, and it took a good 15-20 minutes to download the VSOM client.

I can connect to the cameras just fine on their configuration webpages, and there is no lag whatsoever.  one of the cameras is an Axis 215 PTZ.

I tried pinging the server itself just to see, and the ping results came back less than 1ms, which seemed normal.

It seems to me there is a connectivity issue between the client and the server but I am not too sure.

The VSMS is a Linux box, and the client is a windows xp box.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

7 Replies 7

Ideally VSOM and VSVM clients should run on separate clients. The delay your customer is experiencing may be due to the client PC's processor(s) being bogged down due to the amount of video information being processed to display frames on the VSOM and Matrix clients especially if they are multiple frames being displayed on both applications.

A quick check of the task manager will reveal if the processor(s) is maxed out and stop the matrix client to see if things speed up. There is a workstation client profile tool found on the CiscoET website (http://www.ciscoet.com/files/519-profiler.zip) that will validate the performance of the client PC. Also make sure that there is at least a Gigabit LAN connectivity between the client and the server and consider a 6.3.1 (6.3.0 for VSVM) upgrade.

The attached doc will also help.

Thanks for all of your ideas, we did a 6.3.1 upgrade to the system, and everything went flawlessly, along with firmware upgrades to the 2500 series cameras to 2.1.7.  Unfortunately it didn't fix any of the issues.  There are only 10 cameras total on the system (3 of the axis 215 ptz, and 7 of the cisco 2500 series cameras).  Now when we view the cameras live in the vsom application, the cisco cameras will slowly just start pixelating out for approx. 15 seconds, and then jump back to a good clean view, and then start pixelating out again, like some kind of loop.  The axis cameras, are very slow almost like the frame rates are too low, but they are set to 15fps on the monitor view as well as the camera feed settings.

Strange thing is, when we look at each camera through their configuration webpages, they look and respond as they should, no issues at all, the feed is perfect.  I tried a different client machine running windows 7, and have the same exact results as the client running windows xp.  I am not sure what to try next, maybe a call to tech support next?  I am running out of ideas.

Thanks for any input!

Also, I didn't get a chance to run the hard drive utility suggested in the previous post, maybe I need to try that.

michaew3
Level 1
Level 1

Jeremy,

I would check the hard drives on the server.  It sounds like you might have a degraded hard drive.  You can use the tool from here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15733

Also make sure there is no antivirus running on the client machine.

Let me know what you find out.

I will give these a try, we are going to upgrade them to 6.3.1 first of all, then hopefully that takes care of some of their issues, along with a firmware update on the 2500 series cameras.

I will post back with any information that I find during the upgrade, thanks again!

Besides all the network & clients upgrades mentioned, your camera bitrates (assuming CBR, not VBR) should be set to 1500 or 2000 for an SD cam, and 4000 for an HD cam.  Your I-frames (i'm guessing you're running MPEG4 by the detail you gave) are clear enough, but your P-frames are getting lost and showing artifacts, a.k.a: ripping, tearing, ghosting, pixilation.  Let us know.

I believe I fixed the pixelation/ghosting issue, I deleted the cameras from VSOM and re-added them, and rebuilt the recording schedules/events afterwards, and the ghosting/pixelation issues seem to be gone, only time will tell though.  Thanks.

If this fixed your issue please mark this question as answered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: