cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vsom shows connection failed but works on other machines??

vsmrookie
Level 1
Level 1

I have the manager running with feeds operational on a Windows 7 OS 64 bit (i know it is not fully compatible) and on an XP machine as well.

I have tried to setup 2 other machines (vista and 7) and neither will display the feeds. All of the updates and plugins are the same as far as I know...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

jimather
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Do the two failing machines have IP connectivity to the Media Servers housing the feed? Are they able to successfully access the VSOM server? Are you running VSOM and VSMS on the same machine? Do the non-working machines exist on the same LAN as the working machines?

In the VSM component hierarchy, there exists three main applications:

1. VSMS aka the Media Server which serves three main functions:

a)aggregates video feeds from encoding devices using a 'proxy' instance

b)writes these feeds to disk (if configured) using an 'archiver' instance

c)provides feeds to viewing clients via the mediaout subsystem

2. VSOM (server) aka the Operations Manager serves many functions, three of which are:

a)is the primary configuration database for all media servers

b)holds the event database for media servers and other soft-url event client

c)receives configurations from the VSOM client via HTTP (and relays these configurations to media servers generally via xml)

3. VSOM AX Viewing Client

a)runs in IE and is used to configure the VSOM (which in turn configures the VSMS (see 2c)

b)connects to Media Servers directly to view Live and archived video

An important connection note is that for live and archive viewing, the VSOM Active X client machine actually connects directly to the Media Server and bypasses the VSOM server. I've seen many reports where the client machine can access the VSOM and can see a listing of media feeds, but cannot access the Media Server (VSMS) hence Live and archive video isn't viewable.

Also, as you noted, there is currently no support for either Vista or Win7, so your results will be unpredictable. This support is coming in a maintenance release of VSM in the near future.

I hope this helps.

Hi James,

Thank you for taking the time to help.

I inherited this project after the installation was complete so I may not have all of the answers to the setup questions but I'll do my best.

To answer some of your questions:

Do the two failing machines have IP connectivity to the Media Servers  housing the feed? Yes

Are they able to successfully access the VSOM server? Yes

Are you running VSOM and VSMS on the same machine? Yes. I have 2 servers 1 CIVS-MSP-1RU and 4RU with my manager on the 1RU and the 4RU designated for archiving. There is also a manager on the 4RU but its not used.

Do the non-working  machines exist on the same LAN as the working machines? Yes

An  important connection note is that for live and archive viewing, the  VSOM Active X client machine actually connects directly to the Media  Server and bypasses the VSOM server. I've seen many reports where the  client machine can access the VSOM and can see a listing of media feeds,  but cannot access the Media Server (VSMS) hence Live and archive video  isn't viewable.

It sounds like this may be it but I can access both servers...

Thanks again for the help.

any more suggestions?

Hi,

There is no Windows Vista support in any version of VSM and formal Windows 7 support begins in VSM 6.3.1:

Release Notes for Cisco Video Surveillance Manager Release 6.3.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/physical_security/video_surveillance/network/vsm/release_notes/6_3_1/vsm_rn_631.html

I've seen several instances where Win 7 will render certain video feeds in a pre-6.3.1 use-case, but this is more a result of circumstance than design or formal software support.

I've never witnessed video feeds displaying successfully on a Windows Vista machine.

Summary, for formal Win 7 support, try 6.3.1 and there is no support for Windows Vista. This likely explains your trouble given.

I hope this helps.

Hi James,

Thanks for the update. I have since moved the manager to a WIndows 7 tablet for viewing and I'n getting good results. Thanks!

James more questions to your comment about Vista support.  I have a customer that was successfully using Vista on a 6.2  release and just updated to 6.3.1 and their Vista machines do not work     There Windows 7 machines and Xp work fine.

Any additional thoughts or work arounds for Vista

Hi,

Windows Vista working in any version of VSMS/VSOM is more a matter of circumstance as opposed to design or formal software support.

See here:

VSM 6.3.1 Accessing VSOM

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/physical_security/video_surveillance/network/vsm/6_3_1/user_guide/overview.html#wp1036395

Specifically:

"Operating system—Microsoft Windows XP SP3 32-bit with DirectX 9.0 or later; Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit"

I don't have any other thoughts or Workarounds, perhaps someone else will chime.

Thanks,

Hello Team,

As Jim has already explained, please understand that Vista is currently not supported and we do not have any definitive time line for its support.

There's a filed defect "CSCta71506: VSOM is not supported for use with Vista" to address the issue.

You may track this bug at:
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fe​tchBugDetails&bugId=CSCta71506

TAC has reporting from the field that Vista client worked fine for some users and not others with VSOM. There's no known workaround as far as we know.

Hope this is helpful.

Peter-

Cisco TAC

Thanks Peter and Jim

Much appreciated