Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 4.2 Remote Agent on Server 2008 R2

arnold.tiongson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are migrating our domain controllers from 2003 to 2008 R2 and would like to know if the remote agents are compatible to run on 2008 R2.  I've seen release notes that the RA's have been tested on 2008 SP1 but not R2.

Can anyone advise and/or confirm that the RA's are supported on 2008 R2?

We are currently running Solution Engine 4.2.1.15 as well as the 4.2.1.15-1 fix.  RA's are the same version.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, this is a known enhancement bug:

CSCta35271    Support for Windows server 2008 R2

Acs 4.2.x doesn't support all newer versions of Windows 2008. It only supports the below listed version. You can also check the release notes.

Supported Operating Systems section

--Windows Server 2008, Standard Edition

--Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Edition

--Japanese Windows Server 2008, Standard Edition, Service Pack 2

--Japanese Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Edition, Service Pack 2

This bug might get fixed in upcoming Release\patches. This is in the pipeline/roadmap and the development team is working on it

Regds,

JK

Do rate helpful posts-

~Jatin

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, this is a known enhancement bug:

CSCta35271    Support for Windows server 2008 R2

Acs 4.2.x doesn't support all newer versions of Windows 2008. It only supports the below listed version. You can also check the release notes.

Supported Operating Systems section

--Windows Server 2008, Standard Edition

--Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Edition

--Japanese Windows Server 2008, Standard Edition, Service Pack 2

--Japanese Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Edition, Service Pack 2

This bug might get fixed in upcoming Release\patches. This is in the pipeline/roadmap and the development team is working on it

Regds,

JK

Do rate helpful posts-

~Jatin

Thanks jkatyal.

I actaully installed a remote agent for my ACS 4.2 SE on a 2003 server.... but that server is a member of a domain where the DC's are 2008 R2.  Does that mean I will still have problems?

I called TAC a while ago and they said a patch would be out by august, but I have heard nothing.  Does anyone know when or if this patch will be released?

Hello,

The domain being 2008 R2 shouldn't be a problem, we have no plan currently for 2008 R2 suppor that I know of, suppor for 2008 R2 is in ACS 5.2 though.

--Jesse

Hi,

I think there are two different bugs

CSCta35271    Support for Windows server 2008 R2                                                  >> This says ACS doesn't support 2008 R2

CSCtg37183    ACS 4.x doesn't support 2008 R2 Server for AD                                   >> This says DC doesn't support 2008 R2

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jatin

~Jatin

I install ACS in window server 2008 Enterprise .But I don't show function "Add a remote agent" ?.Thanks in advance for your help.

I am also planning a W2008 R2 schema update and need to verify if my ACS is compatible.  I have two redundant ACS solution engines at this version.

Release 4.2(0) Build 124 Patch 17

Hi Robin,

The following link states that the ACS 4.2 has only Windows 2k8, standard and enterprise edition as supported.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.2/release/notes/ACS42_RN.html#wp100949

The release notes of ACS 5.2 has the bug resolved for Windows 2k8 R2.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.2/release/notes/acs_52_rn.html#wp190981

Regards,

Anisha

P.S.: Please mark this thread as answered if you feel your query is answered.

Hello,

We have appliance ACS v4.2. Our DC was under W2K3 and has been migrated to W2K8.

The remote agent doesn't work anymore, do you know if there is a version compatible with W2K8; we have unsuccessfully tested the ones we found on cisco site.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

hi,

Could you please specify the exact the details of Win 2k8 server as well you ACS 4.2 version

The following states that windows 2008 R2 is not supported by ACS 4.2. Please have a look at system requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.2.1/Installation_Guide/windows/install.html

Regards,

Anisha

-Do rate helpful posts.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I think we don't speak about the same thing.

Our ACS is an appliance under W2K (ACSse), version 4.2 (build 124); it's the DC which is under W2K8 R2 standard.

And it's the remote agent which desn't run anymore under W2K8 on the DC; we are looking for a remote agent we can install on a W2K8 server; not the ACS (which still runs under W2K).

Thanks,

Regards

The problem is the fact that your DCs are running Windows 2008 R2. 
The remote agent doesn't work with 2008 R2 DCs, only 2008 DCs.  The only fix for this is to upgrade to ACS 5.2.  I called TAC and they said they were not going to release any fixes for this on the 4.2 platform.  If you want it fixed, you'll have to either downgrade your DCs to 2008 or upgrade ACS to 5.2.

I upgraded ACS and have been quite happy with it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: