Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.3 WLC Certificates RADUIS Active Directory

cuellar52
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a wireless controller and an ACS 5.3. I would like to create a wireless network where a corporate laptop would use the certificates installed to connect to the wireless and then authentication with AD and laptop certificates to the ACS. So if a user from work brings a home laptop this won't be able to connect as they don't have a certificate installed on the laptop.

I have setup ACS to connect to AD.

I have added the local certificate with my company's CA

acs.blah.comacs.blah.comSubCA3-109:50 28.09.201209:50 28.09.2018EAP, Management Interface

I create a very simple rule and then try connect through the laptop. I select the certicate on the client and click connect. The connection works fine and I am on the network.

Authentication Summary

Logged At:

October 2,2012 3:06:37.996 PM

RADIUS Status:

Authentication succeeded

NAS Failure:

Username:

blah\Eddy

MAC/IP Address:

18-3d-a2-26-7f-b9

Network Device:

L39-WC-5508-01 : 10.49.2.150 :  

Access Service:

WirelessAD

Identity Store:

AD1

Authorization Profiles:

Wireless AD

CTS Security Group:

Authentication Method:

PEAP(EAP-MSCHAPv2)

I then just try a laptop I brought from home I used my AD username and password and this also connected. This Laptop doesn't have a certificate how can I make it so only work laptops with certificates be allowed to connect to the wireless?

any help would be great happy to send screen shots of my setup.

Cheers

Eddy

8 Replies 8

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for the PM and I hope I can help you with your efforts.

First, I understand your need, you want ONLY devices that have a company certifciate to gain access to the wireless network. If a device is configured with AD and PASSWORD but doesnt have a certifixate it isnt allowed access.

With that being said, let me take a step back and share with you a few of the basics rather then just give you the quick anwser.

There are dozens of EAP types. Each EAP is a different authentication method. PEAP, LEAP, FAST, TTLS, TLS etc are the most common EAP types used on wireless network.

PEAP, FAST, TLS,  require a server certifciate. This certificate has one purpose and one purpose only. It is used much like a HTTPS web site. To secure a tunnel whereby a wireless client can securly send the AD and PASSWORD without being snifffed over wireless. When your client connects, your ACS server send this cert to the client. The client will take this cert and build a tunnel. Once the tunnel is made, the client sends the AD and password. Thats it .. nothing more.. With that beaing said, client side certs arent used.

EAP-TLS - This is a EAP that requries BOTH server side and client side .

We can talk a lot more about this but chew on the above and the below links and video ..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a008009256b.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.2/user/guide/admin_config.html#wp1052640

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_bRdmsQlA

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply to my discussion, we had an external company come in to install the WLC and access points and I think they have confused my company requirements.

What my company requires to meet security standard is two form factor authentication for the clients connecting to the wireless network. At first we tried RSA with AD and then we changed to AD with Certificates as each company's portable device has company certificate installed.

After reading about the protocols and what you wrote, I guess we would require to use EAP-TLS as the client side would need the certificate can this include Active Directory? I am just looking at our test client laptop now is there a native supplicant client on windows 7 for EAP-TLS for wireless?

Here are the settings i am currenly using and the supplicant clients I can choose.

any help would be great George!

Windows & doesnt show "EAP-TLS" per say. Its actually Microsoft: Smart Card or other certificate

Read this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759246.aspx

yea, you can use AD and certs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

You know what .. Ive been doing some digging and just spoke to Scott Fella and he informed me that MAR can be used for 2 factor with EAP-TLS, but he doesnt recommend it.

You may want to consider EAP-TLS as is OR if you really need two factor then next best thing i can think of is EAP-PEAP/GTC.

Here is a support doc that was put together on how you can use MAR's on ACS.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-21825

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott and George,

Thanks very much for this information, I am going to give it a quick go and see how it goes. I have read the MAR doco link you sent Scott and it does seem a few people have issues with the AD and Certificate aspect with EAP TLS.

George do you have any doco on the process for this EAP-PEAP/GTC I am intrigued and I would like to research every option available.

thanks for your help so far.

Eddy

Here are a few reads to get you started on GTC

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/peap/technical/reference/PEAP_D.html#wp1008089

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.2/user/guide/eap_pap_phase.html

Hi Guys,

Well I configured the ACS following Scott's information, and I then tried to connect with the laptop and I got this.

Logged At:

October 12,2012 2:50:17.866 PM

RADIUS Status:

Authentication failed : 15039 Selected Authorization Profile is DenyAccess

NAS Failure:

Username:

blah\eddy

MAC/IP Address:

00-21-6a-07-31-88

Network Device:

-WC-5508-01 : 10.10.2.10 :  

Access Service:

WirelessAD

Identity Store:

AD1

Authorization Profiles:

DenyAccess

CTS Security Group:

Authentication Method:

PEAP(EAP-MSCHAPv2)

I copied the two rules used in the setup by Scott and I still get this. I have copied and pasted the logs below any ideas on how to get this to work? I dont have MARS is MARS required for this PEAP setup?

24423  ACS has not been able to confirm previous successful machine authentication for user in Active Directory

Evaluating Identity Policy

15006  Matched Default Rule

15013  Selected Identity Store - AD1

24430  Authenticating user against Active Directory

24416  User's Groups retrieval from Active Directory succeeded

24101  Some of the retrieved attributes contain multiple values. These values are discarded. The default values, if configured, will be used for these attributes.

24420  User's Attributes retrieval from Active Directory succeeded

24402  User authentication against Active Directory succeeded

22037  Authentication Passed

Evaluating Group Mapping Policy

11824  EAP-MSCHAP authentication attempt passed

12305  Prepared EAP-Request with another PEAP challenge

11006  Returned RADIUS Access-Challenge

11001  Received RADIUS Access-Request

11018  RADIUS is re-using an existing session

12304  Extracted EAP-Response containing PEAP challenge-response

11810  Extracted EAP-Response for inner method containing MSCHAP challenge-response

11814  Inner EAP-MSCHAP authentication succeeded

11519  Prepared EAP-Success for inner EAP method

12314  PEAP inner method finished successfully

12305  Prepared EAP-Request with another PEAP challenge

11006  Returned RADIUS Access-Challenge

11001  Received RADIUS Access-Request

11018  RADIUS is re-using an existing session

12304  Extracted EAP-Response containing PEAP challenge-response

12306  PEAP authentication succeeded

11503  Prepared EAP-Success

24423  ACS has not been able to confirm previous successful machine authentication for user in Active Directory

any ideas guys?

thanks for the help.