Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.5 Backup Restore Test

Good day,

I have two ACS 5.5 servers. One is Primary and one Secondary. The primary acts as a logging host as well and storage on this host has become a problem.

As far as I understand a reload of the Primary ACS is neccessary after I have increased the disk space on the VM.

I would like to test the restore of the Primary ACS from a backup to see if the process works and how long it takes.

The new VM which I would like to restore to is on the same network as the current Primary and Secondary servers (in order for the new VM to have connectivity to the backup repository). 

Would the Test ACS server try to contact the Secondary ACS after I complete the restore? Even if the IP address and host name of the new test VM is different from the current primary?

Any assistance or advice would be really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Hendrik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hendrik,

The disk space management mechanism in ACS 5.5 manages the system automatically and configures the available file volumes on the file system per file type, such as local store, logs, configuration, cache, and so on. The actual file size limits are calculated at the time of installation, based on the hard coded relative disk quota configuration (percent based), using the disk size as an input. However, ACS database logs have a fixed size. ACS 5.5 gets installed with a variable hard disk size between 60 GB and 750 GB, based on the disk size that was chosen while creating the VMware instance. If you want to change the size of the ACS disk after the installation, complete the following procedure:

- Back up your data.
- Reimage the ACS application or install a fresh application.
- Restore the backed up data.

The New Test VM, where you are going to restore the backup of Primary ACS wouldn't contact Primary and Secondary until you register that ACS on the distributed deployment. Please ensure that you restore only application configuration ( without ADE-OS). The command to take back is Application Backup

Hope this helps.

- Jatin

~Jatin

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hendrik,

The disk space management mechanism in ACS 5.5 manages the system automatically and configures the available file volumes on the file system per file type, such as local store, logs, configuration, cache, and so on. The actual file size limits are calculated at the time of installation, based on the hard coded relative disk quota configuration (percent based), using the disk size as an input. However, ACS database logs have a fixed size. ACS 5.5 gets installed with a variable hard disk size between 60 GB and 750 GB, based on the disk size that was chosen while creating the VMware instance. If you want to change the size of the ACS disk after the installation, complete the following procedure:

- Back up your data.
- Reimage the ACS application or install a fresh application.
- Restore the backed up data.

The New Test VM, where you are going to restore the backup of Primary ACS wouldn't contact Primary and Secondary until you register that ACS on the distributed deployment. Please ensure that you restore only application configuration ( without ADE-OS). The command to take back is Application Backup

Hope this helps.

- Jatin

~Jatin
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: