cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS backup check files

HI, 

I have made the backup via ftp for the acs server

it downloaded a file acs_backup_31May-190601-0141.tar.gpg

How can I see the config inside, like if I want to see if all the network devices and aaa clients are there?

or am I doing the wrong backup? is it normal that extension?

Regards, 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Yes .tar.gpg is the correct backup file format. The file is a GPG encrypted tar bundle, and it is encrypted with the key you specify on the backup config. You can decrypt the backup on windows with a tool such as GPG4Win.

Now having never decrypted a backup file myself, I'm not certain what format you will find the "config" in. Doing the same thing with gpg encrypted support bundles presents text log files among other human readable content.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Yes .tar.gpg is the correct backup file format. The file is a GPG encrypted tar bundle, and it is encrypted with the key you specify on the backup config. You can decrypt the backup on windows with a tool such as GPG4Win.

Now having never decrypted a backup file myself, I'm not certain what format you will find the "config" in. Doing the same thing with gpg encrypted support bundles presents text log files among other human readable content.

Thank you Damien, for the clarification,

@Damien Miller 

Unlike ISE, are you sure that the ACS allows you to specify an encryption key when setting up backups?  I am fairly sure that in ACS 5.4 (which is the last version I checked this on) didn't allow this.  It uses a Cisco internal key - only ACS knows how to deal with the file 

It must have changed, this is 5.6. 

acs-backup.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: