cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

authentication event fail action next-method, does not fail over to next method.

Jim Araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am not sure why this is happening. We have a phone and windows PC on port fa0/11. Fa0/11 has dot1x enabled on it with the fail action to go to the next-method. The Windows PC fails MAB (first method) but the switch never moves on ot try dot1x (second method). Am I missing something?

Some debugs (this is the PC):

Jul 12 13:24:13.921 EDT: %AUTHMGR-5-START: Starting 'mab' for client (xxxx.yyyy.5572) on Interface Fa0/11 AuditSessionID 0A0A070B0000008F0E46E0DA
Jul 12 13:24:13.963 EDT: %MAB-5-FAIL: Authentication failed for client (xxxx.yyyy.5572) on Interface Fa0/11 AuditSessionID 0A0A070B0000008F0E46E0DA
Jul 12 13:24:13.963 EDT: %AUTHMGR-5-FAIL: Authorization failed for client (xxxx.yyyy.5572) on Interface Fa0/11 AuditSessionID 0A0A070B0000008F0E46E0DA
interface FastEthernet0/11
 switchport access vlan 221
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 121
 authentication event fail retry 1 action next-method
 authentication event server dead action authorize voice
 authentication event server alive action reinitialize
 authentication host-mode multi-domain
 authentication order mab dot1x
 authentication port-control auto
 authentication periodic
 authentication timer restart 0
 authentication timer reauthenticate server
 authentication violation protect
 mab
 dot1x pae authenticator
 dot1x timeout quiet-period 5
 dot1x timeout server-timeout 5
 dot1x timeout tx-period 5
 dot1x timeout supp-timeout 5
 spanning-tree portfast
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jim Araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Knew it was something simple.

I was  missing the  global config command dot1x system-auth-control

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jim Araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Knew it was something simple.

I was  missing the  global config command dot1x system-auth-control

Good job on resolving your own issue and also thank you for taking the time to come back and update the thread (+5 from me). 

Also, when I run into issues I always take advantage of ISE's Evaluate Configuration Validator located under Operations > Troubleshoot > General Tools. It is not 100% accurate but it definitely helps you complete a quick sanity check on a NAD. 

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: