cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to run 802.1x with Linux workstations

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am currently gathering information on whether or not implementing 8021x on a small footprint of linux hosts mostly running Centos is worth the squeeze. Since linux hosts are unable to work like windows machines using auto-enrollment etc. in my experiences I have simply used mab for linux workstations. Also, I have noticed that my test workstation running centos 7.X is not capable of running peap(eap-tls).

A few questions I have for the community:

I have seen manual ways of doing certificate enrollment. Does anyone know of a way to automate the enrollment?
What is the best way to configure the linux image if I am unable to automate the enrollment?

I would prefer to use peap(eap-tls) or eap-fast(eap-tls), but obvioulsy eap-fast is out of the picture since I cannot run NAM on the workstations. It also seems that peap(eap-tls) is a no go as well. Please share your opinions and experiences. Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes the certificate provisioning portal and APIs

No ise byod onboarding automation works with windows Mac OS X Apple iOS chrome and android

There is nothing automating for Linux, you will need to investigate if another vendor does that thru a management platform

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hey @Mike.Cifelli 

Have a look for WPA Supplicant (wpa_supplicant) - it's usually a config file that contains the supplicant configuration and varies by EAP method.  It has pointers to the client/server certs etc.  It's one way of doing it - I have not seen any GUI Supplicant configs in Linux - maybe the newer Ubuntu distro has it (19.04) ?

I thought a decent MDM might also do the job?

cheers

You can use ise internal CA scripting to roll your own but there isn’t a document for that

Hi @Jason Kunst  - you are referring to client certificate self-service portal ?  Yes I probably should have mentioned that as well.  This will help you request a client cert - but I think the output will be a cert and a private key - these components need to be installed on the client device and then the supplicant configured to use this cert.  I have not looked into whether the ISE CA self-serv portal has anything to do with the client install itself.

Yes the certificate provisioning portal and APIs

No ise byod onboarding automation works with windows Mac OS X Apple iOS chrome and android

There is nothing automating for Linux, you will need to investigate if another vendor does that thru a management platform