Views
Helpful
Replies

C831 uses mac address as user name

dal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!

I'm trying to use this guide called Cisco IOS Easy VPN Remote with 802.1x Authentication, except I don't want to use the VPN part of it, I just want to seperate the users on a wired network based on their logon credentials, and this is the only example of this i've found.

Anyway, the router (I use a C831) seems to send the mac address of the client as both username and password during the authentication instead of the credentials that is typed in in Windows.

The Freeradius log looks like this (I have also tried ACS 4.0):

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 10.10.118.1:1645, id=18, length=90

User-Name = "001422dc7ca0"

User-Password = "001422dc7ca0"

Called-Station-Id = "0014.a863.1e32"

Calling-Station-Id = "0014.22dc.7ca0"

NAS-IP-Address = 10.10.118.1

This of course causes me not to be able to use any user name I want to, and thus rendering such things useless.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

I'm attaching my C831 config.

And btw, as you will see from the config, I have stated that the radius connection shall be done on port 1812, yet it say port 1645 in the Freeradius log.. strange.

2 Replies 2

dal
Level 3
Level 3

No one had a problem similar to this?

*shameless bump*

I have configured a cisco aironet 1100 for MAC authentication to a freeradius server and I am seeing the requests come in in the radius logs with username/password as macaddress/macaddress. Similar to the issue posted here. The Orinico AP2000 aps work as expected sending macaddress/sharedkey. I'm beating my head off the wall trying to figure out how to get the aironet 1100 to send macaddress/sharedkey as well. Anyone?