cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAN I INSTALL ISE 2.4 ON HYPER-V VM's WITH RAID 5

ajc
Level 7
Level 7

We are planning to migrate in parallel from ISE 2.2 into 2.4 fresh install but we have not received yet the appliances so we are planning to create 2 Hyper-V VM's using 3595 ISO but we only have available Raid 5.

Based on my understanding, a 3595 appliances come with Raid 10 so I am wondering if using temporarily Raid 5 can be a significant issue taking into account this is not a permanent deployment and those VM's running 2.4 Raid 5 would be PSN's only. Once I get the appliances, I would be replacing those VM's.

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You can, it's just not ideal. The most likely node to have an issue on RAID5 storage is the MNT, it hits disk pretty hard with small read and writes. That said, I've seen a MNT in a 100k active endpoint deployment still working on a 4 disk RAID5.

If the disk throughput tests fail during install I would hesitate to continue, if you read/write speeds are still high enough, then it will work in the interim.

View solution in original post

No, only vmware with raid 5, but the results will be the same, ISE runs without issue on hyper-v. The suggestion would be to still avoid raid 5 due to the performance implications it presents, a single write requires four disk operations, an extremely steep IOP penalty. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You can, it's just not ideal. The most likely node to have an issue on RAID5 storage is the MNT, it hits disk pretty hard with small read and writes. That said, I've seen a MNT in a 100k active endpoint deployment still working on a 4 disk RAID5.

If the disk throughput tests fail during install I would hesitate to continue, if you read/write speeds are still high enough, then it will work in the interim.

Thanks Damien,

The temporary VM's using RAID 5 would be PSN's. I have a separate 3595 appliance for a temporary Primary MNT. The goal is to have a mix of appliances and VM's with the final Primary MNT VM running the Super MNT configuration and the remaining devices VM/appliances running like 3595 for ISE 2.4. Our HW acquisition is planned to accommodate in the future 3695 VM's running 2.6.

Hi Damien,

One additional question, have you used Hyper-V VM's?. IF it so, please provide your feedback, thanks

No, only vmware with raid 5, but the results will be the same, ISE runs without issue on hyper-v. The suggestion would be to still avoid raid 5 due to the performance implications it presents, a single write requires four disk operations, an extremely steep IOP penalty. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: