Views
Helpful
Replies

Certificate creation for distributed ISE setup

aoster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am planning to add an additional node to an existing standalone ISE. I am however unsure

about the creation of the certificates. At the moment I am using a Thawte SAN windcard certificate

on the primary host. The current host is located in a domain "europe.domain.com" whereas the

new ISE needs to be placed in a different DNS domain named "america.domain.com".

primary node:  ise1.europe.domain.com

secondary node. ise2.america.domain.com

Is it possible to use a single wildcard certificate for both systems ?

What will happen if one of the ISE systems failes/is unreachable, can the different portals and the

authentications be handled by the remaining ISE, if the systems are located in different DNS domains ?

How do the DNS entries for the portals (for example the sponsors or guest portals) have to look like ?

Thank you for your kind help.

best regards

Andreas

1 Reply 1

Venkatesh Attuluri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When the primary Administration ISE node is down, Sponsor administrators cannot create new guest user accounts. During this time, the guest and sponsor portals will provide read-only access to already created guest and sponsor users, respectively. Also, a sponsor administrator who has never logged into the sponsor portal before the primary Administration ISE node went offline, will not be able to log into the sponsor portal until a secondary Administration ISE node becomes primary  or the primary Administration ISE node becomes available.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: