Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE 1.2 Application Installation

hamidebadi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have installed an ISE server on VMware Workstation, however, it seems that there is a problem with installation process as I am not able to browse the GUI, while I can ping the server. When I try "show application status ise" command the output is "Application ise is not installed". Also when I fire the command "show application" the output list is empty.
No error happened during the installation process and it seemed to be normal. Your kind helps would be appreciated.

Regards,
Hamid

9 Replies 9

eddiem
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hamid,

It looks like your ISE VM installation was interrupted or failed for some reason.  Did you install via the OVA or did you create your own ISE VM, then install the ISE ISO file?  Suggestion is to install ISE via the OVA file to ensure the VM is provisioned correctly.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Yes it seems that there is an issue with the installation. I tried the installation from ISO image, but the result was the same. Could you please help me from where I can download the OVA file? I cannot download directly from Cisco website as I am not a customer. I need ISE from certification preparation.

Regards,
Hamid

Hi Hamid, If you don't have access to the ISE OVA file, you can use the ISO to correctly install ISE 1.2, just make sure you give your VM the correct specs. Here are some notes that should get you over this hurdle of installing ISE 1.2 on VM:

Use VMware ESXi 5.x or newer, or VMware workstation 8.x or newer, or VMware Fusion 7.x or newer

When creating your VM specify Red Hat Linux 6 64-bit as the OS type

Give your VM 4Gb of RAM, 200Gb of Disk, and 4 virtual CPU cores

Hi my friend,

Thanks for your help. I tried again as you advised, but the result was the same. It seems that the ISO image is corrupted, I will try finding another one.

Regards,
Hamid

ammahend
VIP
VIP

I don't think an OVA version was made available until ISE version 1.3.

I would also suggest use a newer version. 2.1 patch 3 is stable, unless you are installing it for a Lab or something.

If you still want to proceed with 1.2 follow Cisco guidelines.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/1-2/installation_guide/ise_ig/ise_vmware.html

-hope this helps-

rafafilho11
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue, but on my case it have been showed after a Certificado job on the ISE.

After I did the command:

show application status ISE

%Application ISE is not installed

I solved that, I figured out that the command is case sensitive 

Wrong command:

show application status ISE

Righ command:

show application status ise

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VMware Workstation is not a supported platform for the ISE server (not for 1.2 or any other release). The current versions of ISE support ESXi, KVM and Hyper-V virtualization platforms.

Also, ISE 1.2 is very very old. What's your goal for using this version?

Yes I'm using the versio 2.1.

Version 2.1.0.474
Build Date
Install Date

Path Version 6
Install Date

Show inventory
ISE-VM-K9 DESCR: ISE-VM-K9
PID: ISE-VM-K9  SN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I solved my problem to see the Radius live logs when I stop and startd the servers with the monitoring role.

application stop ise
application start ise

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: