Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ISE 1.4 learning with 3850 and 3560 switch

hello.

i wanted to learn ISE but with very few limitied resources. some how i manage to get a swich 3850 (it has build in wireless controller) and 3560 switch. i shall running the ISE 1.4 on vm workstation. the books i am using are

Cisco ISE for BYOD and Secure Unified Access

CCNP Security SISAS 300-208 Official Cert Guide

a supplier came on site and he mention 3850 switch was a cisco product failure and he advise me not to practice on 3850 instead to use a controller. but we do not any spare controller which i can play with. this is all i have to get good in ise. so please advise by using these two switches can i get most of from ise please.

i shall really appriciate the advise.

please do not forget to rate.
4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Cisco 3860 is not a product failure.

Granted I wouldn't want to use it as a wireless controller unless I had a gun to my head - but it is not a failure as a switch.

You can get a virtual wireless controller as a low cost option.  The 2504 is also a great little WLC.

Hello Philip.

Thank you for the reply. I checked WLC 2504 is an expensive for me. i have tried to work with vwlc. only drawback if i am right to say. the ap has to configure as flex mode. also when i research many people mention it would be good to have a phyiscal appliance instead of having a virtal wlc. 

so you advise not to use 3850 as WLC controller?

Regards,

Well, I wouldn't use it for one of my clients, but faced the same the economic situation I would use it for personal training.

Thanks Philip for your reply. just to summaries as i can not affoard the litte guy wlc 2704. so for me 3850 will work as it has build in controller and will make me comfortable to get most of the ise from wireless site and the switches site. as i beleive 3850 will be 2 in 1 for me.

also i am just preparing this for lab purpose.

kind regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: