Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE 2.0.1.130: Application Server stuck in "initializing" state

Nashja
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco ISE model: SNS-3415-M-ISE-K9

Cisco version: 2.0.1.130

I tried to fresh setup Cisco ISE. After I input the information such as IP Address, Gateway, NTP and so on, the server started to setup all database.

After that I found the error message that show the database setup error. So, I tried to use command “application reset-config ise” to reset ISE application.

Unfortunately, the server could not start its service. So, I tried to use command “reset-config” to reset the server to factory default configuration.

After server finished reboot, Cisco ISE services was running normally but it has only “Application Server” service that cannot running.  It stuck in “initializing” state.

I already waited for 5 - 6 hours but it still stuck in “initializing” state. Moreover, I cannot enter GUI webpage to configure it.

I don’t know this is Cisco Bug or the server fail.

For more information, please find information below:

Displaying ISE application status ....
ISE PROCESS NAME STATE PROCESS ID
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Database Listener running 4601
Database Server running 40 PROCESSES

Application Server initializing

Profiler Database running 5730
AD Connector running 7513
M&T Session Database running 3439
M&T Log Collector running 7366
M&T Log Processor running 7261
Certificate Authority Service running 7217
SXP Engine Service disabled
pxGrid Infrastructure Service disabled
pxGrid Publisher Subscriber Service disabled
pxGrid Connection Manager disabled
pxGrid Controller disabled
Identity Mapping Service disabled

Please suggest how to resolve this problem.

21 Replies 21

Thomas Wall
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you try starting ISE in safe mode by issuing the commands below:

1. Application stop ise (will stop all services)

2. Application start ise safe

Please let me know if the services fully start in safe mode.

Hi Thomas,

I tried to do as your recommendation but I still got the same result.

sho application status ise

Database Listener running 4601
Database Server running 39 PROCESSES
Profiler Database running 5725
AD Connector running 7511
M&T Session Database running 3441
M&T Log Collector running 7364
M&T Log Processor running 7259
Certificate Authority Service running 7215
pxGrid Infrastructure Service disabled
pxGrid Publisher Subscriber Service disabled
pxGrid Connection Manager disabled
pxGrid Controller disabled
Identity Mapping Service disabled

Please advice.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, at this point the only action we can take is to reimage the node as we have already tried an application reset and starting ISE in safe mode.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your answer. I will try to upgrade ISE to version 2.1 tomorrow.

Hope this help. :(

Hi Paniphon,

Hope you are fine.  Did you solved the issue. It seems I am also facing the same problem.

Regards,

Hi mseck0001,

I upgraded Cisco ISE to version 2.1.0.474 that can work normally. However, I got some bug when I want to register the guest mac address to database.

I think you need to upgrade the newer version than my version.

Hope this help.

Paniphon.

Hi we are experiencing the same issues with one of our ISE boxes.  We have a secondary that is stuck with Application Server initializing.

Both ISE are the same.

Cisco Identity Services Engine
---------------------------------------------
Version : 2.1.0.474
Build Date : Tue May 24 23:34:43 2016
Install Date : Tue May 30 19:37:29 2017

Cisco Identity Services Engine Patch
---------------------------------------------
Version : 3
Install Date : Thu Aug 10 18:34:37 2017

Database Listener running 15269
Database Server running 64 PROCESSES
Profiler Database running 16563
ISE Indexing Engine running 19842
AD Connector running 21968
M&T Session Database running 16471
M&T Log Collector running 18569
M&T Log Processor running 18318
Certificate Authority Service running 18147
EST Service running 18274

We have re-imaged already and are looking to do that again.  I will bring up about starting in safe mode if we re-image.  We have been working with TAC for some time on this.  Any solutions that anyone has come up with will be greatly appreciated.

TAC should be able to look at this further, but you could check with them if you are hitting the folllowing bug:

"ISE Application Server is initializing after applying patch 3 on ise 2.1 - CSCvd62856"

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvd62856/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

Did you ever get this worked out.  I have the exact same problem as you.  After the fresh install, the application server hangs at initializing now matter how many times I reboot or stop and start the application.

Hi,gilsbar

Did you mange to solve the issue?I am also facing the same problem

I'm now facing the same issue with ISE 2.4. Did you guys solve this?

Can you please describe the changes or series of changes that you made before running into this issue for example, upgrade from a previous code, restore backup and any changes that you can think of ?

~Jatin

I just installed the evaluation version of ISE 2.4 on a VM. I used the .ova file so I had to perform minimal configuration of the machine itself. Everything else seems to work fine, just this certificate service doesn't start.

Unfortunately it seems that I need it since I want to connect to pxGrid. I went through the tutorials but I don't manage to make the actual connection to the service, possibly because of this issue.

It appears that I have the same issue after upgrading 1.3 to 2.0 and applying patch 8 yesterday. I applied it to two admin servers and three policy nodes and they all say initializing for Application Server. I have gone through the stop start process before wandering around CCO to see if there was an answer. Does this effect operation of the system??

I am in the process of going to 2.4 but ran into an issue with the NIC configuration I need to get the server admins to help address. They say it is not a big issue just not going to be able to address today. This is the error message...

Application upgrade preparation successful

MEM7700/wberry# application upgrade proceed

Initiating Application Upgrade...

% Warning: Do not use Ctrl-C or close this terminal window until upgrade completes.

-Checking VM for minimum hardware requirements

% Error: Unsupported VMware Ethernet Driver Detected: Flexible. To proceed, shutdown your ISE VM, remove the existing 'Flexible' NICs, and add new NICs of type 'VMXNET3' or 'E1000'. You can then power up your ISE VM and start upgrade again.

% Application install or upgrade cancelled.

MEM7700/wberry#

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: