cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE - AD Authentication Based on UPN only (instead of UPN + MAIL)

0924342halmans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I have a question , and i hope someone can help me with this one. 

Currently i have an distributed deployment of 8 ISE nodes (software 2.3 with Patch 1 + 2). 

The ISE is joined with an Active directory an all is working. 

However: 

We have some users that have 2 Active directory accounts (one for testing and one for production). 

Both accounts have an different User Principal Name (UPN) but the account have the same mail attribute.

I read in the Cisco Documentation that default check for UPN+MAIL. See quote below: 

• Cisco ISE also permits an identity that appears to be a UPN to also match the user’s mail attribute, that is, it searches for
“identity=matching UPN or email”. Some users log in with their email name (often via a certificate) and not a real underlying UPN. This is implicitly done if the identity looks like an email address.

Is it possible to change this behavior to UPN only? 

I tried using an Authorization Policy to match UPN only but ISE still does the Mail + UPN lookup. 

I also tried the Rewrite function for ISE and AD but still no luck. 

Right now user is getting denied because of : 

24324 Identity resolution detected multiple matching accounts

24478 Error while validating the user or host in Active Directory; the IdentityAccessRestricted flag is not altered 

When i query Active Directory from the External Identies tab than i get: 

"A duplicate user record was found "

Thanks for your replies and attention. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please open a TAC case so that TAC may guide you how to tweak the registry setting for this, as the fix for CSCvg56578.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mrkdelt91
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am also looking for this feature. Did you get this solved? 

I'm still searching around. If I find an solution then i will let you know

Hey,

But it works with UPN alone. Why You need email attribute?

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please open a TAC case so that TAC may guide you how to tweak the registry setting for this, as the fix for CSCvg56578.

@hslai wrote:

Also make sure you're running recommended release of ISE 2.4 or higher with latest patch. 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-blogs/announcing-the-quot-suggested-release-quot-status-of-ise-2-4/ba-p/3775587

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-news/announcing-ise-2-6-as-suggested-release/ba-p/3953488

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: