cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Differences for the different ISE VM License bundles?

cnegrete
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to quote a group of VM ISE servers and I'm not quite sure of the license we need:

Found on https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/identity-services-engine/eos-eol-notice-c51-738715.html that the ISE-VM-K9= license is on End of Sale. So, the first question is, is this ISE-VM-K9= the same as R-ISE-VM-K9= that exists on the Legacy section of the ordering guide (table 17)?

Now, assuming that the R-ISE-VM-K9= license is still purchasable, I assume I can order this SKU and install whichever VM deployment I want (small, medium, large) provided I have the software?

And if I can do the second question, what's the reason of having the R-ISE-VM-K9=, and the sized R-ISE-VMS-K9=, R-ISE-VMM-K9= and R-ISE-VML-K9= SKUs?

I'd need the large deployment SKUs, by the way.

Thanks for your time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cnegrete
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I can't delete the discussion, so I'm answering myself.

Turns out that the R-ISE-VM-K9= PID went End of Sale on February 28, 2018, so I'll need to purchase the R-ISE-VML-K9= PID.

Thanks for reading this ;)

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

cnegrete
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I can't delete the discussion, so I'm answering myself.

Turns out that the R-ISE-VM-K9= PID went End of Sale on February 28, 2018, so I'll need to purchase the R-ISE-VML-K9= PID.

Thanks for reading this ;)

Cisco makes this so complicated.  Can you please confirm whether R-ISE-VML-K9= is the right SKU for ISE 2.4, which now requires the VM sizing to be licensed (small, medium, large) ?  Does the 'L' in your case indicate the 'Large' VM?

thanks!

11 R-ISE-VML-K9= $ 25200.00 NEW Cisco ISE Virtual Machine Large  
12 R-ISE-VMM-K9= $ 12600.00 NEW Cisco ISE Virtual Machine Medium  
13 R-ISE-VMS-K9= $ 6700.00 NEW Cisco ISE Virtual Machine Small

It's a bummer the price bumped up to 3 different tiers now !🤨

And the price has gone up more than double compared to a RTU VM license. Thanks Cisco...

It seems that they're trying not to lose that much compared with a hardware appliance, hoping that the customers get those instead (needing to replace them in a few years, btw)... sneaky :)

Just an addition, be aware that the small, medium, large names do not correspond to the deployment models that we use when scaling ise solutions. 

VM Small = 3515 Sized VM

VM Medium = 3595 Sized VM

VM Large = Super MNT Sized VM (lots more memory mainly)

Hey Jan, do you know what type of VM license I would need for a VM of the following spec?

64GB RAM

8 Cores (8 virtual CPU's as seen in ISE show-tech command)

The ordering Guide below does not make it that obvious whether it's the RAM or the CPU that dictates.

If I read the rules below I think I will end up with a Small license, because I don't have enough CPU cores to qualify (remembering that the word "cores" below actually implies that Hyper-Threading is enabled, which would double the number of CPU's as seen by the guest OS). 

ise24.PNG

The ISE 2.4 install guide

ise24b.PNG

I would say medium, as those specs you posted are equal to the ones from the SNS-3595, which is what the medium license covers.

Thanks Jan.  I think you're right.  I am still upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4 today and then I will register them  to Smart License and see what it thinks.  But the node profile says SNS_3595 - so fingers crossed that pans out well for me.  I see there is a bug with the Cisco OVA's where they will report different stuff, but luckily I built the 2.4 deployment from .iso

According to ISe 2.4 documentation:

Virtual SNS-3595 OVA (Large)

The large node is only for use as a performance-enhanced MnT node. You cannot use the Large VM as a PAN, PSN, or pxGrid node.

ajc
Level 7
Level 7

independently of the license doubt/question, do NOT configure multiple personas on the same ISE. no matter what kind of deployment you have.

not true. If you have a small deployment you can run everything on one box, it all depends on sizing and performance

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_00.html#ID-1413-0000008e

Before saying NOT true, post number of concurrent active sessions, size of the MAB DB, etc of your deployment. Those "in the lab" deployments are not real scenarios. We have seen a good number of issues since version 1.3 to write a book

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: