cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 1.x profiler question (Network Scan Action & Exception Action)

allen00874
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone please explain the following based on this scenario:

Say you create a Profiler Policy called “DeviceBrandX” and you set the Minimum Certainty Factor to 20 and you create a condition to profile based on a check for condition based on host-name in DHCP and you assign the condition a Certainty Factor Increases of 10. In additoin you define an Exception Action and a Network Scan (NMAP) Action in the policy.

Here are the two questions:

If you create another condition that initiates a scan Network Scan (NMAP) Action to scan say for OS - how does the scan influence the Certainty Factor?

Also if you create a condition that initiates Exception Action - how does that influence the Certainty Factor?

Thanks,

Allen

2 Replies 2

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The exception action should not affect the certainty factor it is triggered when a device matches the profiling policy. Take a look at the apple-device policy for reference. The main purpose is to trigger another action if the policy is to generic

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hey Tarik,

Thank you for the response; I have looked at the apple-device policy, I see that the “* Exception Action” field is = NONE. I only see that the Network Scan (NMAP) Action is set to OS-scan. In fact I have looked at all the generic policies and none have an “* Exception Action” field set.

I can see that under the Rules configuration you can set the rule to "Take Exception Action" but in the top part of the configuration the "* Exception Action” there is no selection option.

I am assuming if you wish to trigger and event you would identify the event in the “* Exception Action” field and under the rule you would select "Take Exception Action". How do you configure the “* Exception Action” to determine which Action to take?

Thanks,

Allen