Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.1: Issue onboarding devices on Android 7 Nougat

Tim Verscheure
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I'm setting up a dual-ssid onbarding system using Cisco ISE 2.1 (Patch 1). However I am having issues onboarding certain devices, especially the ones on the latest Android version. The guest portal with BYOD enabled is reachable up to the point where I need to download Cisco Network Setup Assistant.

Issue 1: I'm not able to download NSA from within the BYOD device registration portal. I added the following android playstore URL's in the redirect ACL using DNS names:

*.ggpht.com

play.google.com

android.clients.google.com

Issue 2: Via an accessible network I downloaded NSA and installed it manually. Then I test it by 1) joining the provisioning SSID, 2) logging in successfully using AD credentials, 3) when he displays me to download NSA, I manually open NSA and start provisioning. This fails because he can not find the server.

Setup:

ISE VM: 2.1 (patch 1)

WLC: 8.2.121.0

1. SSID "BYOD-PROVISIONING":

L2 sec.: none, mac filtering enabled.

Adv.: "Allow AAA override" and "NAC State=ISE NAC"

2. SSID "BYOD-TLS":

L2 sec.: wpa2/aes/dot1x

Adv.: "Allow AAA override" and "NAC State=ISE NAC"

For both SSID of course the radius server was added for auth and acct.

COA was enabled for ISE server.

I'm a little stuck here.

Does anyone have good troubleshooting tips for Android devices?

7 Replies 7

alberx
Level 1
Level 1

In the redirect ACL you must permit access to the PSN ISE server by the 8443 port.

I have all this to allow access Google Play:

*.clients.google.com

play.google.com

clients.google.com

*ggpht.com

*.gght.com

*.store.google.com

*.google.com

*.l.google.com

*.googleusercontent.com

Also you can check in your endpoint the file SPW.log to view where it fails  (/sdcards/downloads/spw.log).

I tried using your recommendations regarding the URL's but unfortunately downloading the app through the webbased playstore remains troublesome:

- Whenever I install the app offline and I re-run the onboarding process, when I get to the "download supplicant" part, it says it says I can install the app.

- Whenever I remove the app and then re-run the onboarding process, when I get to the "download supplicant" part, it says it says the app is already installed.

This makes no sense.

I tried downloading my spw.log file but it remained empty except for the following lines:

2016.12.23 13:51:59 INFO:About to apply random number generator fix, if necessary.
2016.12.23 13:51:59 INFO:Done applying random number generator fix.

That's it. The weird thing is, I downloaded an older version of this supplicant, i.e. 2.1.0.50, and I installed it manually. Suddenly it worked! I looked at my spw.log file. Now it is properly filled with other messages.

I updated my app via the playstore (outside the onboarding process) to the latest 2.1.0.51 and now this works as well...

The plot thickens...

Any comments from Cisco Development perhaps?

got same issues with onboarding few androids in the google play page. When I press the google play button it disconnects from the Wifi connection.

Hope you can help.

I had the same problen, and in my case everything started to work when I updated posture and profiler services.

Administration --> Settings --> Posture --> Updates

Administration --> Feed Service --> Profiler

With the latest versions ISE started to recognise Android 7 correctly and onboarding was successfull.

Hope that helps.

Phil Neil
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

Did you have any luck with this?

I'm experiencing the same issue with a customers deployment.

Not so worried about issue #1 I think I can get that working.

Issue #2 though I'd like to know you you resolved this?

Phil Neil
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco releasing a new version of the Android network assistant resolved the cannot find server issue.

I still couldn't get the network assistant to download through the onboarding process.

I've noticed is that DNS ACL is broken in a fair few version of the WLC software.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCus61445/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

8.0.121 it's broken.

I'm upgrading our controller to 8.0.140 to resolve this then I think Android onboarding should work seamlessly.

Matteo Abrile
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I solve problem... I download it before start with onbloarind, using 3/4G network, then start onboard.

Bye

M.